Does Anyone Know What This Is? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2009, 04:39 AM   #11
mosfets is offline mosfets  Canada
diyAudio Member

Up the fuse beyond spec, add parallel speakers, play loud and long and voila! Toasty resistors and transformer coils oozing their coatings.

I was a kid once, good times. Blow it up then build it better. I can't think of anything more fun. The really cool part about tubes; in many cases it is hard to destroy the speakers. Sorry for the meandering off topic but the image in the first post brings back good memories.
Old 14th April 2009, 03:26 PM   #12
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

So play'en the death metal smoke'em LOL

Super massive crazy distortion from which of the likes GOD has never heard LOL

Sorry couldn't resist, that the way I like to play some times LOL
Old 24th April 2009, 12:01 AM   #13
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I worked on a Peavey Valve King 100 today and thought of this thread. It uses the same 400 Ohm/ 10 Watt resistor. It was all I could do to get 40VDC across it, meaning, in a properly functioning amp the most it dissipates is 4 Watts. I still say bad tube(s). Also the power supply uses 100UF/550V capacitors from Nippon Chemicon. I looked on their website but these must be made for Peavey as I could not find anything over 450V. Anyway I thought they would make a nice big filter bank WITHOUT stacking them, doubling capacitance with the same number of caps as long as your PS is under 550VDC.

Craig
Old 26th April 2009, 10:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

From the first post I didn't undestand if there is really a malfunction problem or just the aspect of the fried PCB. It looks like the burn is from a previous dead resistor and who changed it mounted the new one too close. Maybe a better lighted picture will clarify this, but IMO this resistor doesn't look like an old/overloaded one...
Old 26th April 2009, 11:27 PM   #15
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

That was one of the questions I asked, is the resistor actually bad or just called bad because of the roasted circuit board. Never got an answer.

Craig
Old 27th April 2009, 09:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The resistor is good. It does not show discoloration. Something else around it (in the schematic) does not fell very well, though.....
Old 28th April 2009, 03:06 PM   #17
ke4mcl is offline ke4mcl  United States
diyAudio Member

are you sure your amp has never been serviced before? thats alot of burn on that board for such a good looking resistor! those burn marks may be old damage previously repaired.
Old 28th April 2009, 03:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Could be that too, sure. But the resistor looks slightly discolored, and it being such a high wattage, it would mean that a LOT of current passed thorough it. Melted 6V6 's?

Hide this!Advertise here!