Bass amp from spare parts - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2009, 03:19 AM   #11
awedio is offline awedio  United States
diyAudio Member

Whoa,

I'm liking this discussion! First of all, Chaos5522 - I like your attitude! Rip it up, your project is definitely possible.

Secondly, my bass rig is a Hi-Fi? I guess I should be listening to it more than my "other" Hi-Fi then! Only I like the music coming out of the "other" Hi-Fi better, so until Les Claypool or Marcus Miller want to come over and play on my bass rig, I'm afraid the "other" Hi-Fi will be getting more play. My chops ain't all that...

But my bass rig is all-tube FWIW.
Old 10th April 2009, 03:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
No, I did not mean your rig.
That mass production they sell in GC for bass guitars is not a real Hi-fi, but approach to bass guitar amps' design is more like hi-fi amp design rather than a lead-guitar amp design.
You can add some parametric or graphic EQ to shape your tone, but a power amp must be clean, and even better with anti-clipping compressor like my amps have.
Old 10th April 2009, 03:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I guess I should also note that:

I am using an all-tube stereo reel-to-reel Roberts (Akai) as a preamp for my Peavey AlphaBass (6-6L6s) actually in a quite perverse way.

I run my bass into the line input (or is it mic?) of one channel and then from Speaker Out (xformer) directly into the line input of the second channel. Then Speaker Out again into the Power Amp In of the Peavey.

Ummm... people here will yell at me for such abuse, but if you use a very light touch on the controls, you can get a whole range of clean to massively overdriven sounds and feedback just by twiddling the vol & tone knobs on the bass. Yes, this setup has the potential to damage gear if care is not taken. I love the sound though.

This ree-to-reel has, I would say, about 2-4W total output anyway. I don't even know what tubes it's running, I base that on trying to play through a 1-12 cabinet on it's own. I like it better adding in the 185W tube power of the Peavey
Old 10th April 2009, 03:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Peavey is a good example, sorry I did not know you use it. Some of best Peavey bass amps have built-in compressors, so it's problematic to overdrive them without a very brute force.
Old 10th April 2009, 04:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Wavebourn,

This is an unusual Peavey. They didn't make a lot of all-tube bass heads. This one is called an AlphaBass, built for only 1-2 years around 1991, has 3-12AX7, 1-12AT7 and 6-6L6 output tubes. I know for sure their TNT line of SS amps used comp, but I'm fairly certain mine does not...
Old 10th April 2009, 04:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Good amp. They are making tube amps again.
I know they patented some comp some time ago, for bass amps: they used differential stages for variable dynamic impedance.
I use optical compressors in my amps.

Old 10th April 2009, 04:06 PM   #17
jjman is offline jjman  United States
diyAudio Member

A bass amp will need a strong OP Tranny if it is to be used for clean bass at any significant volume. 2 6v6s may not suffice if you are looking to use the amp for clean bass in a band situation.

Of course the "Bassman" series was not used for playing bass by most guitarists and is known for it's good distortion for normal guitar instead.

I'm confused on where the output tranny is coming from. I don't know if reel-to-reels had powerful outputs. (I didn't know they had speaker outputs.)
Old 10th April 2009, 09:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well in the long run this is meant to be more of a practice amp, since I don't actually own one myself...The amp i'm using now is a piece of crap SS 25 watt no-name that distorts when I turn it up lound enough to TRY to keep up with an acoustic guitar player. And it's on loan to me from a friend.

SO in the long run, all i really need is a practice amp, and given the parts I have I could reproduce something like the bassman 20 or one of the projects from ax84. But that's just not the kind of person I am. I really want to squeeze as much power as I can out of the components I have. Granted, at the moment, the limiting factor on that is what the transformers are capable of. This will be known as soon as I can get my hands on a multimeter and some equipment to test them. Right now I'm trying to configure an amp that I would like, that will do what I need and satisfy my uncontrolable urge to tinker with things. Once I know what the transformers are capable of, I'll adjust the design based on that new information.
Old 11th April 2009, 03:23 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I run my bass into the line input (or is it mic?) of one channel and then from Speaker Out (xformer) directly into the line input of the second channel. Then Speaker Out again into the Power Amp In of the Peavey. Ummm... people here will yell at me for such abuse, but if you use a very light touch on the controls, you can get a whole range of clean to massively overdriven sounds and feedback just by twiddling the vol & tone knobs on the bass. Yes, this setup has the potential to damage gear if care is not taken. I love the sound though.
This sounds similar to the recipie that was written inside the first Chicago Transit Authority's first album (1969). It describes the setup used on the song Free Form Guitar as a Strat played through a Showman using a Bogen PA as a preamp.

I didn't own a Showman and I was using a Stromberg Carlson PA with a home made input section (Bandmaster circuit) for my guitar amp, but of course I had to try it. I dug up an old Bogen PA and stuck it between my guitar and the amp. It sounded absolutely wicked, but had so much gain that it hummed and picked up the local AM radio station. A friend tried it but his guitar amp was a solid state Kustom. The result two fried amps. NEVER try this with solid state amps! They really don't like 50 volts of signal on their inputs.

You want to try something absolutely wild? You need a stereo wired guitar or bass (two pickups to two different output jacks). Plug one pickup into your usual amp. Daisy chain (or Y cord) that amp into a smaller practice amp. Plug the speaker output of the practice amp into the second pickup. What you get is controllable feedback. Play a note or chord, the sound gets amplified and fed back into the string through a second pickup. With proper adjustment and a little luck you can get infinite sustain. The effect is similar to an Ebow.
Old 11th April 2009, 02:39 PM   #20
WBS is offline WBS  Tibet
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com

You want to try something absolutely wild? You need a stereo wired guitar or bass (two pickups to two different output jacks). Plug one pickup into your usual amp. Daisy chain (or Y cord) that amp into a smaller practice amp. Plug the speaker output of the practice amp into the second pickup. What you get is controllable feedback. Play a note or chord, the sound gets amplified and fed back into the string through a second pickup. With proper adjustment and a little luck you can get infinite sustain. The effect is similar to an Ebow.

That's what I like about you, tubelab. You are absolutely diabolical!

Hide this!Advertise here!