• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simple PSU question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lets say i have a bottlhead foreplay preamp, and a bottlehead seduction phono stage.

Lets also say that i want to have the two units use one common power cord, but they will each use their existing power supplies ( stock from the kits )

So essentially, the IEC cable would run to the phono stage, but would be split off before the on/off switch, and run directly to the preamp. They would share a common earth ground in this arrangement, i figure. Think of it as a daisy chaining of a power cord off the phono stage and over to the preamp.

Can anyone say this is a good or bad idea? The reason i am doing it is purely cosmetic ( the seduction has an IEC socket built onto the top plate, the foreplay doesnt. If i can figure this arrangement out, its one less power cord needing to be run. I'm building both units into the same chassis )

I know everyone is going to say "why not just design a power supply that will do both phono and preamp ?" ...but that wasnt my question :)

any advice at all...

-Maz

Well, in this case specifically the power supply circuit is well located ....and the daisy chain part will be short ( like 3-4" ) and kept away from tubes and whatnot.

I'm more curious about spikes, grounding issues and whatnot. Perhaps they both shouldn't run on the same cable, because its two seperate power supplies drawing on the same wire?

Is that nonesense?

-Maz

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
FIRST THINGS FIRST.

Hi,

Well, in this case specifically the power supply circuit is well located ....and the daisy chain part will be short ( like 3-4" ) and kept away from tubes and whatnot.

That would work although I'm not sure why you want to trake chances here.

I'd rather keep powercords as far away as possible from any circuit anyway.

I'm more curious about spikes, grounding issues and whatnot.

Seems it dawns on you...you may have to tackle each and everyone of them...

Is that nonesense?

No, and I'll refrain from quoting lyrics by ELP...:clown:

Maq.....its fine on what you want to do..... use star grounding..... and I would get a small toroid Iron core and wrap the hot and neutral about 4 times through it and then distribute them to their respective power supplies........sheilding the transformers are a good idea also.

Cheers!!The DIRT®

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.