• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fisher 800c static,crackle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
try swapping in a known good preamp tube, then replace any carbon comp plate resistors with metal film (anything but carbon comp, really). The carbon comps like to hiss after a few decades (or less) in a humid climate. They also crackle, sputter, and make other background noises. From your description, it's probably a plate resistor in the last voltage amp or the PI. Good luck!

Ok I wiggled the 12ax7s next to the output trans the left caused more poppng and seemed very loose I gently tightened the pin grip and it was much tighter but still had the static
I switched the left and right and the static moved to the right channel so bad tube I hope
Do I swap both the left nd right or can I just put a new one in the left channel and will it need any adjustments when I put the new tube or tubes in
thanks for the help
Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.