• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie tube buffer kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am a Nubie who had just joined the forum. I did a search but with my limited knoweledge the info is way beyond me and my level of question.
I am wanting to build a tube kit on a PCB board. I was thinking about a amp but came across a tube buffer. To this end I thought a tube buffer kit would be a good starter kit. I figure it would be good way to try my building skills and to get a little bit of the tube sound for a low entry cost. I have a Nad pre amp and a parasound power amp if that helps.
This was a kit I found on the net:
http://www.analogmetric.com/store/goods.php?id=88

So I would like to ask:
Is this a good kit to try out
Any other kits around that do not come from Hong Kong.
Am I wasting my money on this kit.
Do I need something else besides this kit to use it on my system.

Thanks a lot Cheers Ron. in Canada.

...........Ron:
I surfed thru this site selling this kit &...well it is quite probably the cheapest way to start in on tubes. i was a little dismayed that the info on some of the other kits are lacking in specifics. However this kit seems to have the most info....perhaps because it is the cheapest.
You will need much more "stuff" to get this up & running. Let us run down what you will need in addition to this one twin channel kit.
You will notice they note you will need a specific transformer to power it all up...further you will need:
Soldering Iron (Appx 25 Watt)
Solder
desolder bulb (OR solder wick OR desolder tool)
Well lit workspace
An enclosure ( empty as new or fabricate)
Set of Four RCA jacks (In & Outs)
A double pole single throw switch (DPST)
Fuse and fuseholder
Pilot light (Optional)
AC cord (Should be IEC plug socket & cord)
20 Gauge wiring wire (Overkill)
Drill, drillbits, metal files (Flat & rounded)
Short lengths of coax cable
Assorted nuts & bolts
__________________________________________Rick.......

Ron..
Don't get dismayed by all of this.....you really are building this device from pure scratch........it is really quite involved when you consider all the supporting...infrastructure type stuff.
Often times the fellows here will brag of their great creations...only to reluctantly provide a picture of a pure "project" that is temporarily wired up on a workbench. A sweep of the arm across said workbench would destroy these "projects" (( Accompanied by smoke, Zapping of high voltage and the household circuit beaker tripping)):eek:
You can use just about any enclosure you want..as long as its big enough inside. Use your artistic side....your just enclosing your project...whats around your place that might work???An old rectangular baking tin??
_______________________________________Rick.........

Rick & Dave Thanks for lending your valuable insights.
I did not realize that it was not all there!
It looks like this is the transformer needed, YES/NO? It is $40

http://www.analogmetric.com/store/goods.php?id=434

I have the soldering iron and solder, need the bulb/whick
The other things I should be able to get from a local source, Winnipeg is good for this sort of thing. I guess it will be a learning curve thing. I have a drill and bits and lots of files and I think I can make a enclosure.

So Again thanks for pointing the things out I need I will check that I can get the extra stuff might as well see if a transformer is local as well if you can tell me if the above one is the right one?
I would think I am moving towards getting this "kit" to get my feet wet as you put it.
Cheers Ron.

A friend advised me that a kit without all the parts and a scematic from Hong Kong, thinking of customer support might not be a good starter for a Nubie. Eli, thanks for the extra input. Did you ever build one? I will look at Frank's line stage design, even tough it does no sound like a kit.

So at this point, despite my previous post of going for it, it seems prudent to pass and keep looking for a better tube buffer kit, might have to spend a little more to get something more doable for me.
Thank you all, Cheers Ron. :bawling:

MP. I'd strongly recommend you consider the Decware product Evenharmonics linked to above as an alternative. I've purchased from that company before and it is reputable, reliable and run by honest and experienced people imo.

When buying from China, be extremely vigilant about shipping charges. Analogmetric's seem reasonable, but get them pinned down before you pay. I've seen eBay items where an amp is very reasonably priced, only to find that "shipping and handling" is in the $200-plus range. Of course that's for a heavier item, but I think many vendors sell at or below cost and make their profit on S&H. Also, don't buy transformers in cans from China; a big can likely will conceal a tiny core and windings.

Why not just go all the way and build a simple two or three input tube preamp instead of a buffer? Your options are much broader and you have a choice of buying a complete kit with the transformer, case etc. In my experience the casework can take longer than the actual assembly and testing of the electronics, maybe because I am a klutz.

Thanks
tomsyl
The Decware is looking great, BUT again I think it is to much of a bite for a Nubie, it seems to need some tweaking and a few extras to get in going. I think I am going to offer a trade or something to see if someone will build one fr me. I will post in the trading floor section.
I make hand forged knives and custom built fishing rods maybe somebody will trade custom made for custom made.
In the meantime thank you all for such a warm welcome to the DIY and I will look at the simpler all in one amp kits as a starter project.
Cheers Ron.

MP, feel free to email me privately if you are interested in trading versus buying. I have far too many pieces of equipment lying around (including two dozen vintage integrated amps - mostly EL 84s but all PP; no SE stuff) and by a remarkable coincidence I have a modest knife collection (though I hold the record as the worst fisherman in Hawaii).

Your idea to get going with some ready-made tube sound while building your dream piece is an interesting alternative IMO. I started out ages ago with a Japanese 300B SE kit and the anxiety to get it up and running was counterproductive to the build process. (I'll say though that the sound when I got it working was absolutely incomparable - beyond my expectations and completely addictive. I can tell you now that this is almost certainly where you will end up imo because SE triodes are the ne plus ultra in the pursuit of tube sound - there is really nothing like it, though PP we3ll executed can be very good indeed. So you may as well start saving your pennies now. I'm guessing a substantial number of people here with a lot more knowledge and experience than me will agree with that.

In the meantime there are many great people here with deep engineering backgrounds who share their knowledge freely. For one example, look up SY's multi-part unity gain preamp thread, which is a perfectionist's version of a buffer. he took a lot of time to explain every design choice he made, and the result is something that probably would sell for kilobucks of you could even buy one. Even if you don't decide to go that route, you will learn a lot from Stewart and from the forum's comments and contributions to his design. Even better, he's reproduced all of his work on the subject on his website, which is http://syclotron.com. Look for "The Heretical Preamp" and consider reading it from beginning to end.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Mungo Park said:
Hi,

I have a Nad pre amp and a parasound power amp if that helps.

Maybe it needs some rethinking

How much do you use your NAD pre
Number of signal sources, and which
Do you use tone controls etc
How much do you normally turn up the volume knob, 10oclock, 12oclock, ?

Which speakers do you use
What kind of music
How loud
Do you have plenty bass, or need more

Mungo Park said:
Hi, I am a Nubie who had just joined the forum. I did a search but with my limited knoweledge the info is way beyond me and my level of question.
I am wanting to build a tube kit on a PCB board. I was thinking about a amp but came across a tube buffer. To this end I thought a tube buffer kit would be a good starter kit. I figure it would be good way to try my building skills and to get a little bit of the tube sound for a low entry cost. I have a Nad pre amp and a parasound power amp if that helps.
This was a kit I found on the net:
http://www.analogmetric.com/store/goods.php?id=88

So I would like to ask:
Is this a good kit to try out
Any other kits around that do not come from Hong Kong.

Hi Mungo. Go to Bottlehead and order this:

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay3/foreplay3.htm

It has step by step instructions and is a solid design. It will blow your NAD preamp away. This is a great beginner project and you have the whole Bottle head forum to back you up if you have questions. IMO this is the best beginners kit on the market. This kit will teach you about layout and about soldering. After that you will find soldering on PCBs a walk in the park. Just my two cents. Here is a quote from the descroption that you should pay attention to:

Assembly can be accomplished in a few evenings, and is tailored for the builder with little or no kit assembly experience.

Well Every time I think I am done you guts get me going again.
I have a old set up:
A Nad 3240 PE it is a pre amp power amp which seperate, so I am using just the pre amp.
A Parasound 3240PE power amp.
I have home built peerless speakers, 2 8"drivers and one tweeter.
I do not really go for a lot of bass and play it flat.
I have a Cd player Magnavox (of no special quality) a Rega Plainar 2 turntable and a tuner, which I never use. Volume is about 1/4 mostly 1/2 is about as high as I need to go
I looked at the bottle head but it it $500 USD and is a big outlay for a starter project, well it is for me right now. With exchange duty tax it ids getting up their for a try at tubes.
Evenharmonic that line stage kit looks doable and it includes everthing but the tubes, I think. Which is about a good starter price.
I guess not knowing didly I did not knoe a line stage could be used for he same thing. The Yaqin is about the same price but I would enjoy building something, which started all of this. I can do some wood working so I can build the enclosure to make it custom.
tomsyl I will email you as well, and read the The Heretical Preamp.
Again Thank you all for keeping this dream alive it sounds like a great pastime. Cheers Ron.

P.S. I am sure I will have another question about the

I am reading this kit.
http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aiallinoneki.html

"The All in One kit with four tubes, a chassis, volume control, selector switch, power transformer, and a fistful of RCA jacks is all that is needed."
So as it read it it needs those thing to get it running, as a Nubie am I able to get these to go on with limited knowledge? I can see building the enclosure. And should not be hard to get the tubes.
My 5yo daughter wants me to put on this icon:bigeyes:
Cheers Ron.

G

Joined 2002
Mungo Park said:
I am reading this kit.
http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aiallinoneki.html

"The All in One kit with four tubes, a chassis, volume control, selector switch, power transformer, and a fistful of RCA jacks is all that is needed."
So as it read it it needs those thing to get it running, as a Nubie am I able to get these to go on with limited knowledge? I can see building the enclosure. And should not be hard to get the tubes.
My 5yo daughter wants me to put on this icon:bigeyes:
Cheers Ron.

That is a good starter too Ron. Don't be intimidated. Look at one wire, one resistor and one capacitor at a time and before you know it it is done. Here is a enclosure for it if you decide to get it.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16294+BX

All you will have to do is drill some holes, add a transformer and some connectors. Maybe a little paint if you are vain like me.

:cannotbe:

By the time you buy all of the parts that are needed to finish it you might find that the Foreplay is a pretty good deal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.