Newbie tube buffer kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie tube buffer kit

Hi, I am a Nubie who had just joined the forum. I did a search but with my limited knoweledge the info is way beyond me and my level of question.
I am wanting to build a tube kit on a PCB board. I was thinking about a amp but came across a tube buffer. To this end I thought a tube buffer kit would be a good starter kit. I figure it would be good way to try my building skills and to get a little bit of the tube sound for a low entry cost. I have a Nad pre amp and a parasound power amp if that helps.
This was a kit I found on the net:
http://www.analogmetric.com/store/goods.php?id=88

So I would like to ask:
Is this a good kit to try out
Any other kits around that do not come from Hong Kong.
Am I wasting my money on this kit.
Do I need something else besides this kit to use it on my system.

Thanks a lot Cheers Ron. in Canada.
Old 9th April 2009, 04:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If this level of question is to mucky mouse its their another forum that is more in line with the Nubie.
Cheers Ron.
Old 9th April 2009, 04:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
...........Ron:
I surfed thru this site selling this kit &...well it is quite probably the cheapest way to start in on tubes. i was a little dismayed that the info on some of the other kits are lacking in specifics. However this kit seems to have the most info....perhaps because it is the cheapest.
You will need much more "stuff" to get this up & running. Let us run down what you will need in addition to this one twin channel kit.
You will notice they note you will need a specific transformer to power it all up...further you will need:
Soldering Iron (Appx 25 Watt)
Solder
desolder bulb (OR solder wick OR desolder tool)
Well lit workspace
An enclosure ( empty as new or fabricate)
Set of Four RCA jacks (In & Outs)
A double pole single throw switch (DPST)
Fuse and fuseholder
Pilot light (Optional)
AC cord (Should be IEC plug socket & cord)
20 Gauge wiring wire (Overkill)
Drill, drillbits, metal files (Flat & rounded)
Short lengths of coax cable
Assorted nuts & bolts
__________________________________________Rick.... ...
Old 9th April 2009, 04:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Ron..
Don't get dismayed by all of this.....you really are building this device from pure scratch........it is really quite involved when you consider all the supporting...infrastructure type stuff.
Often times the fellows here will brag of their great creations...only to reluctantly provide a picture of a pure "project" that is temporarily wired up on a workbench. A sweep of the arm across said workbench would destroy these "projects" (( Accompanied by smoke, Zapping of high voltage and the household circuit beaker tripping))
You can use just about any enclosure you want..as long as its big enough inside. Use your artistic side....your just enclosing your project...whats around your place that might work???An old rectangular baking tin??
_______________________________________Rick....... ..
Old 9th April 2009, 05:52 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It looks like they have spent some effort covering off some of the deficiencies of some of the buffers out there. And it is cheap.

And you could just bolt it to a pice of wood to start.

dave
Old 9th April 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have asked about that kit here (post #39) but it only got little feedback. Some members don't feel confident about their products.
There has been frequent mention of Frank's line stage design on this forum and some members have actually built it. You may want to look that up.
Old 9th April 2009, 03:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Rick & Dave Thanks for lending your valuable insights.
I did not realize that it was not all there!
It looks like this is the transformer needed, YES/NO? It is $40

http://www.analogmetric.com/store/goods.php?id=434

I have the soldering iron and solder, need the bulb/whick
The other things I should be able to get from a local source, Winnipeg is good for this sort of thing. I guess it will be a learning curve thing. I have a drill and bits and lots of files and I think I can make a enclosure.

So Again thanks for pointing the things out I need I will check that I can get the extra stuff might as well see if a transformer is local as well if you can tell me if the above one is the right one?
I would think I am moving towards getting this "kit" to get my feet wet as you put it.
Cheers Ron.
Old 9th April 2009, 05:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A friend advised me that a kit without all the parts and a scematic from Hong Kong, thinking of customer support might not be a good starter for a Nubie. Eli, thanks for the extra input. Did you ever build one? I will look at Frank's line stage design, even tough it does no sound like a kit.

So at this point, despite my previous post of going for it, it seems prudent to pass and keep looking for a better tube buffer kit, might have to spend a little more to get something more doable for me.
Thank you all, Cheers Ron.
Old 9th April 2009, 05:46 PM   #9
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Ron,
Here is an option. I think these kits come with everything you need. I haven't purchased one form them, but I have emailed for info and they were very prompt.
Mike

https://id266.securedata.net/s5elect...tubeorder.html
Old 9th April 2009, 09:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well Yes maybe a tube amp kit with everything in it comming form the US might be a safer bet, as a starter, I did not find much else in the tube buffer kits.
Cheers Ron.

Hide this!Advertise here!