• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Berman 76 preamp schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here the Preamp, external Supply schematics and the parts list. By the way, this preamp is very close to the famous Korneff 76 Preamp :D

Attachments

• Berman_76Preamp.jpg
    Berman_76Preamp.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,227
  • Berman_76Preamp_Supply.jpg
    Berman_76Preamp_Supply.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,059
  • Berman_76Preamp_Parts.jpg
    Berman_76Preamp_Parts.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,969
I build this preamp and followed the specifications and values closely per the article. Unfortunately, I have a hum problem which I believe is due to grounding. Can someone share their experience in resolving this issue.

It is in a two chassis - power supply and preamp is connected via screened 5-way umbilical power chord.

Tx in advance.

I build this preamp and followed the specifications and values closely per the article. Unfortunately, I have a hum problem which I believe is due to grounding. Can someone share their experience in resolving this issue.

It is in a two chassis - power supply and preamp is connected via screened 5-way umbilical power chord.

Tx in advance.

Do you try heater floating. It is really good for both tubes.

If I build this schema, I will use AC heater with floating.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Can you shed some more light on exactly what your problem is? And is it signal hum or PSU hum? I.E., 60hz or 120hz? (possibly 50hz or 100hz if your AC mains are 50hz)

Please post some photos of your build and an exact schematic.

Hi Tcqanh, Tx for the response. Heater floating would help the life of the tubes. Would it address the hum/grounding issue?

I measured the B+ values after the CLCLCLC on load to be 310VDC using a 5u4g rectifier, unloaded the volatage is 410VDC. The filament voltage is 6.25VDC (loaded).

There is a low-pitch hum that is that is annoyingly evident in-between tracks.

I solved the hum problem after reading the very informative article by David Davenport on Audio component grounding and interconnect in the diyaudio articles archive.

I may have created a ground loop by having both chassis earth-grounded, and also earth-ground the power supply-ground at each of the chassis.

I removed the power supply-ground connection to earth-ground on the power supply chassis, and the hum disappears.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's simple to fix - you need a 'ground loop breaker' in-between the PSU ground and Chassis earth. This is a device that has a few ohms resistance, enough to break the ground loop, but still be ground when it needs to be.

The trick, however, is that you need a device that can stay intact if you have a genuine AC fault - this requires something that can handle real current.

Look at this bit that I took from a tubecad.com product manual -
GroundBreaker.jpg

If you use the resistor as shown above, it needs to be at least 5w dissipation.

A large diode bridge works very well, seen in this schematic -

Pearl2PSU.jpg

You can also use a CL-60 thermistor as shown here -

DSCF0134.jpg

The green is the AC safety earth connected to the chassis, the black is the PSU ground, which finds the safety earth through the CL-60,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.