• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What to do with TMC tube radio gear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had a friend drop off another load of old radio gear. Two TMC PAL-500 units, which consist of a PSP-500 power supply and a RFE-1 linear amplifier.

The amplifier uses two 4CX350A RF output tubes in parallel (Eimac radial-beam, forced air-cooled, ceramic, power-grid tetrodes). The tubes can be used for AF as well as RF.

The power supply weighs in at 60 pounds and is filled with transformers, chokes, and huge paper and oil caps. It can produce 2000 Volts!

Not sure what to do with it all. Kind of hate to dismantle it all for parts.

Maybe I'm going to have to become a Ham as well as an audiophool.

Some pics here:

http://online.sfsu.edu/~hl/tmc2.html

Lar

Attachments

• linear amplifier #2.jpg
    linear amplifier #2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 175
Trade it to a ham for parts and tubes, or maybe some vintage hifi that they don't need

I would be interested in such a trade, but since I am on the other end of North America shipping would likely be unreasonable.

At the present moment my ham gear consists of a 5 watt Yaesu HF radio that contains no tubes, and a bunch of home built microwave and UHF stuff.

Tubelab = KB4LRE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.