What cable do you use from input socket to volume pot - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2009, 10:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What cable do you use from input socket to volume pot

I was wondering what you cable you use to connect the input socket to the volume pot (or grid).

In the past I have used shielded single core, grounding the shield at the pot and at the input. Is this the best way to do it?

Other alternatives that I can see would be -

1. Non-shielded hookup wire

2 Shielded duel core, with the internal wires connecting the pot and the input socket with the shield grounded to the signal ground wire somewhere early along the chain.

Also, any favorite cables and recommendations of suppliers?

Cheers,

Rob
Old 29th March 2009, 11:19 AM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Rob, I use a twin core coax. One core used for signal. One core used for signal ground. I attach the signal ground core to the ground bus at the point furthest from the power supply. The coax shield should be grounded at ONE END ONLY. I normally bond the coax shield to the chassis at the input socket. Also, make sure that the input socket it properly isolated from the chassis.

I just use cable from Altronics/Jaycar etc.

Some people make the signal ground connection to the chassis at the input socket.

Good link to grounding schemes. Since following this advice I have had hum free amps...

http://www.aikenamps.com/StarGround.html

Cheers,

Chris
Old 29th March 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've used both twisted pair hookup wire, RF coax and the fancy oxygen free stuff. No measurable difference and no sonic difference, especially when routed correctly.

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris and Gregg,

Will use the Duel core shielded.

The single core shielded did work quite nicely but the duel core makes more sense as I gain more experience.

Thanks Chris for the article link BTW, really helpful.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 30th March 2009, 02:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The coax shield should be grounded at ONE END ONLY.
This is true IF you use two-core shielded cable as described, and the outer braid is used only as a shield.

However, when using single-core shielded, with the outer braid as the ground connection, I found significant hum problems unless I grounded the outer at BOTH ends. Must havr been as ground-loop problem, I suppose.
Old 30th March 2009, 02:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Rob,

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob11966
Will use the Duel core shielded.
Sometimes you can run across an office upgrading their LAN system (or an old one being torn down) and you can snag a good length of twinaxial for nothing to cheap.

Cheers!
Old 30th March 2009, 09:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth

This is true IF you use two-core shielded cable as described, and the outer braid is used only as a shield.

However, when using single-core shielded, with the outer braid as the ground connection, I found significant hum problems unless I grounded the outer at BOTH ends. Must havr been as ground-loop problem, I suppose.
Yes Ray_moth,

I have found the same thing. I have used the single core wire in the past and grounded at both ends on the basis that the shield was carrying the signal, the input socket being isolated from the chassis. This worked very well with no hum but I am going to go duel core, if for no other reason that it is somewhat awkward to solder the shield to both ends neatly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Hi Rob,

Sometimes you can run across an office upgrading their LAN system (or an old one being torn down) and you can snag a good length of twinaxial for nothing to cheap.

Cheers!
Thanks Gregg, I have already found some great looking wire on that very useful site that we all know, which is silver plated and looks very nice - I have little doubt that it is sonically no better than the local stuff at Jaycar but it looks great!

Thanks for the help so far.

Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!