Funky Looking 15DQ8s - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2009, 05:09 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Sounds like it could be a tube for George (Tubelab) to test. He could see how many watts it will draw before the bulb blows. Unless they glow a nice color at low power, then maybe VR duty or as a nightlight.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:02 AM   #12
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

These are probably made by Tungsram in Hungary. For some reason this sort of thing is quite common with some of their tubes (another example would be their EF80 pentodes), they are new and they seem just fine like that. I am not sure it's directly related to getter firing, but may have to do with the initial tube out-gassing or initial heater firing. Wether it's some product of the heater burn-in that radiates out from the insides onto the glass through the anode holes and looks like that, or subsequently somehow attracts the getter material, I have no idea.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm currently listening to an amp using a quad of E84Ls branded as "National" by Richardson but "made in Hungary" so most likely Tungsrams. They have very similar getter patches and they work just fine.
Old 29th March 2009, 05:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Nah, Nowt wrong with those.....

Seen this many times with European tubes.....

I have a number of EF184 and EF183's that are exactly the same, and made by some Co For Mazda...The tubes I have are NOS and in their original boxes too..............
Old 29th March 2009, 08:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I'd never seen getter distribution like that before. The 15LQ8 is nice in that it has a high voltage rating for both halves, though the triode and pentode don't have specs as impressive as, say, a 6LQ8. I'm getting infatuated with some of the triode/pentode duals floating around out there, especially the ones where the pentode is designed for video amp duty.

Hide this!Advertise here!