michaelson & austin tva 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2003, 02:01 PM   #1
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

Default michaelson & austin tva 10

my friend give me this amp and when i turn it on i hear loud humming ! but if u play music the humming gone ! when u stop the music the hummiing back again ! what wrong with my amp ? please help ! thank
Old 22nd April 2003, 09:16 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The TVA10 is a late 70s nightmare waiting to happen. I had one once. It oscillates if you leave its input open-circuit. It oscillates if you leave its output open-circuit. Each time, the EL34s glow red to let you know. It runs hot, so there are various things that could be dying. Have a look inside, and look for bulges on the ends of electrolytic capaitors.
Old 23rd April 2003, 12:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Senior Member

Default TRANS VOLTAGE AMPLIFIER?

Hi,

Oh dear...this amp is one example of those designs that gave valve amps a bad rep.

While it can sound fine, in the hands of the unaware it has been known to burn out its OPTs due to parasitic oscillation.

Sorry, but I feel this is one amp one shouldn't own.

Cheers,
Old 23rd April 2003, 02:20 PM   #4
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

oh my god! sound like a nightmare for me ! !

i got a sch and i not sure the voltage ....... hope u guy can help me

when i measure the HT i only got 408 v and the sch show me 500 v !

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9120-val...0CMMAA-SCH.htm
Old 23rd April 2003, 03:06 PM   #5
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Low HT

There are two main possibilities.

The 600uF capacitors were rather nasty RS types that lived near to the (hot) mains transformer. If they have gone leaky/low value, the HT will be low, and there will be hum.

The bias supply to the output valves is failing, and causing the output valves to draw too much current. Check the voltage on the grids of each output valve, it should be about -45V.

Finally, could you please type in the Queen's English? I don't imagine your tutors accept work typed in the style of a mobile phone text message, so don't use it on an international noticeboard. Replies to questions take time, and although everybody has tolerance for posters for whom English is not their first language, there is no excuse for a student in Britain to be sloppy.
Old 24th April 2003, 02:51 PM   #6
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

EC8010
I found the -ve bias caps is leaking and i change it and the hum is gone ! But went i turn the volume to 9 o'clock the sound start distort / broken ! The polarity on the -ve is connected right or wrong ? I've check the voltage .. Bias -44V HT 450V ..please help. thank !
ps thank for ur advice. i'll take into account
Old 24th April 2003, 02:56 PM   #7
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

here the power supply
Attached Images
File Type: gif power1.gif (29.3 KB, 411 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!