whats a good diy tube preamp kit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2009, 01:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

http://www.bottlehead.com/

Check out the Seduction or Eros for phono and/or the Foreplay for line level. Bottlehead's kits are very well regarded and for the price offer outstanding performance. As a plus they are pretty easy to customize and have a great support forum. For instance the Foreplay line amplifier normally uses 12AU7's but it can be easily modified to use 12BH's, 6SN's, 6DN's, 12AT's, 6DJ's, 6F8G's, even 12AX's just to name a few.

Cheers

James
Old 26th March 2009, 01:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by merickrc
boywonder that sounds good the only thing i will use the preamp for is the turntable but how do i control the volume do i just use a sterio pot
You would use a stereo pot with the preamp, or, alternatively you could try a passive pre as mentioned above, but since you are using a TT, you'll need alot of gain, so a passive is out.

Quote:
Originally posted by merickrc
what do you all think of this kit for a first time tube preamp will it work with my dynaco amp

http://www.tubedepot.com/diy-k-pl.html

Looking at the gain, this kit is for line level inputs. You need something for phono input. And you'll need a power supply and a few other things.

What is your skill level? Are you looking for a complete kit or are you comfortable buying a PCB, transformer and tube sockets, etc and fabbing your own enclosure or building on a breadboard? Are you comfortable working around high voltage (200-300V)? Are you handy with a DVM and soldering iron? Would you prefer a circuit board to build or point to point wiring?

Looking at your other thread here, it appears that you already have a phono pre....if so then you could try the passive approach or a line level preamp. You'd go TT-phono pre-line level pre-dynaco
Old 26th March 2009, 02:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

merickrc:

Looking at your other thread here, it appears that you already have a phono pre....if so then you could try the passive approach or a line level preamp. You'd go TT-phono pre-line level pre-dynaco
Old 26th March 2009, 02:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

but will a tube preamp sound better tha what i have now
Old 26th March 2009, 03:17 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

boywonder is suggesting you look at a passive "pre amp". Look up step attenuation. The idea is to put the minimal necessary between the source and the amp.
Old 26th March 2009, 03:19 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

OK, I am confused or maybe just slow. Are you looking for a phono preamp to replace your Bugle (which I assume you have judging by your other thread) or are you looking for a line lever amp to go between the phono and you ST70 or whatever power amp?

Cheers

James
Old 26th March 2009, 03:33 AM   #17
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

http://www.intactaudio.com/
Old 26th March 2009, 11:26 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

im looking for a passive preamp to go to my dynaco st-70
Old 26th March 2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Brit01 is offline Brit01  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
http://www.intactaudio.com/
WTH!! 50 USD resistors! 500 USD attenuators!!

Old 26th March 2009, 01:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

brit1 what do you mean please explain thanks merick

Hide this!Advertise here!