• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

whats a good diy tube preamp kit

boywonder i want to build a kit not something from parts but a kit with good instructions from start to finish and as for what i have now i would like something that will replace the bugal phono preamp so i would like to have in my system turntable to the preamp to the dynaco st 70 out to the fostex 207 speakers

Just in case you need more options to ponder:

Budget:
Decware preamp kit

Hagerman has a couple of different line stages and phono stages.
Clarinet line stage

I don't know when it will be available, but Jim McShane's kit should be a budget champion:
McShane's page

Here is a nice looking all-in-one kit (complete chassis parts):
Diy HiFi Supply's EZ linestage

I haven't built any of the above kits. I have purchased parts from Jim McShane and Diy HiFi Supply. I've built the Bugle phono stage kit from Hagerman (which is the way to go for a super cheap, great sounding phono stage). Were I you, I'd probably go with the Bottlehead kit, but these give you a choice of a few different designs, aesthetics and levels of assembly.

pj
www.wildburroaudio.com
affordable, US made fullrange loudspeaker drivers

merickrc said:
boywonder i want to build a kit not something from parts but a kit with good instructions from start to finish and as for what i have now i would like something that will replace the bugal phono preamp so i would like to have in my system turntable to the preamp to the dynaco st 70 out to the fostex 207 speakers

If you are planning on using your TT as well as line level sources, and replacing your phono pre, you'll need a kit that can do both. It will have a high gain section for phono, and a lower gain section for line level.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• phono aikido.jpg
    phono aikido.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,110
Nobody has addressed the IMPORTANT issue of proper gain structure. :(

If the drive signal needed by the OP's ST70 "clone", for full power O/P, is less than 2 VRMS, the very last thing to add to the system is a line stage with gain. Both the Aikido and FP3 will introduce substantial gain. Before any decision is made, get the gain structure right. :smash:

Reactions: 1 user
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Eli Duttman said:
Nobody has addressed the IMPORTANT issue of proper gain structure. :(

If the drive signal needed by the OP's ST70 "clone", for full power O/P, is less than 2 VRMS, the very last thing to add to the system is a line stage with gain. Both the Aikido and FP3 will introduce substantial gain. Before any decision is made, get the gain structure right. :smash:

Hi Eli

Sounds like you have missed that we talk phono(riia) amp...I suppose we may agree that it will need some gain :D :)

But ofcourse you are right
His amp is powerfull, and speakers are sensitive 8" Fostex
Thats why I suggested the Intact autoformer
Along with the Aikido PHONO, it looks like a bargain
But ofcourse you could use a cheap carbone pot
But I dont think it comes easier than that

But it seems some people dont look properly, and doesnt care to listen much either

Highest quality and low cost along with delivery of complete set of parts and instruction anyone can follow
Thats not very likely going to happen
Phono amps are not a trivial task, and needs great care with noise issues and power supply

Im sure there are several fine designs out there, but probably aint going to be an easy build, not available as complete kit, and cheap wont be what comes to mind either

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
merickrc said:

boywonder i want to build a kit not something from parts but a kit with good instructions from start to finish

and as for what i have now i would like something that will replace the bugal phono preamp

so i would like to have in my system turntable to the preamp to the dynaco st 70 out to the fostex 207 speakers

Eli

It was a line amp to begin with
But seems we agreed that IF a tubepre was to be it, then better do a tube phono, with some sort "passive" att

The Intact autoformer I suggested wasnt received very good, or plain misunderstood, and further some dont seem to understand the principles
Only later in the discussion I have realised that his phono is a Hagerman Buggle
If its an ok phono, then the Intact would be a fine "easy" choise
Sounds like we may agree on that one, sort of
At least thats what I would suggest, and have done several times
The intact will work fine if later on a better phono is needed
Ofcourse, if one wants a low output MC it may be different
Eli, I like being corrected if I write rubbish :)

edit, I remember when I, a very long time ago, was the happy owner of a RodgerModjesky RM5a tubepre, and I believe it was "simply" a phono/riia with passive line
I didnt know until one day I heard radio without the preamp turned on
I believe he still calls it RM5a :)

wow thanks for all the ideas my head feals like it is going to pop there are alot of diffrent tubepreamps out there how do i know what sounds best without buying them all i will say this i really want to thank all of you for your input i have learned much and will continue to learn form you all here

merick

One of the Bugle's advantages is that unlike many tube phono preamps, it will drive any "passive" preamp (even a 5K impedance) just fine. At least so says Hagerman. You can also crank it up to 60db or 70db of gain if needed (though I'm using SUT's with mine). I'd think any sort of passive preamp, including the passive kits by decware or diyhifi would be far game. Of course, one could probably just toss a pot into the ST70 and save some $$.

pj

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
merickrc said:

how do i know what sounds best without buying them all
merick

Looking at how many people liking TVCs, autoformers and the like. Theres no doubt in my mind that its a very fine way to do it
I dare say that without having ever heard one
But about whats best would very much depend on the individual setup
Whats best fore some, maybe isnt even good fore others
Even the "best" may not even work in another setup

A TVC or autoformer like the Intact might theoretically not be the best thing fore a bit thin sounding fullrange
On the other hand you have a Dynaco ST-70, which pulls it back home again
I have had nice tube preamps, and I do like them
But as EliDuttman says, the gain(amplifying) has to be considered, and is not always wanted, or needed
Or in some cases(many) it becomes a problem
With sensitive and responsive speakers like yours, ST-70 ought to worn ok with no exstra gain needed
Impedance matching could be first priority

And as above stated, your phono has no problem either
Interestingly its supposed to work fine in as low as 5kohm

So, maybe even a passive 5kohm attennuator could be possible ???????????
Keeping it in mind it will work ONLY with this buggle, and no good if you should change phono amp, or maybe use MC-trafo

But its impossible to promise you anything
Hifi will in some way always be a case of tial and errors

In any case, making the finest tubepre takes a bit of experience
Maybe especially if its a phono

Hifi will always be a case of trial and errors, in some way