• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High end Tube mono amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a look at their 211 amp as well. Proudly presented are a pair of cheap Elna Cerafine caps. Dunno why refered to as 'coupling cap' probably the 'english'.
With commercial valve amps the really interesting question is not what topology is used, as very seldom anything new and original is seen, but rather what is the output iron. Small companies seldom wind or even custom order their iron but rather buy something off the shelf. It's very rare for a valve amp manufacturer to use even cheap power supply and plate chokes, usually a cheap SS regulator is all you get.
I believe that by using top quality output iron and reasonable passive components a DIYer can easily outperform most commercial offerings below the stratosphere.

Henrik,

As peter said, rarely (if ever) nowadays is anything new "under the hood". They are charging $3500 because of the snazzy box, and because someone is willing to pay that much. I doubt we would be awed by the schematic. :rolleyes:

I agree with Peter also that you could easily build an amp that would outperform any commercial amp - and usually for under $1000.

(and if you're willing to do without fashionable parts, for under $500)

Joel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.