• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Old radio tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I showed some friends of mine my new tube stereo amp, two of them replied that they have boxes of old tubes sitting around from their grandfathers radio repair type work, and that I'm quite welcome to whatever of it I want.
Think there's likely to be anything worthwhile for amplifier use in these boxes?

Think there's likely to be anything worthwhile for amplifier use in these boxes?

Hell yes! 6SN7s and 6F8Gs are obvious. If you are really lucky you could find type 45 or type 46. Type 50s would be golden. Even if there is no audio use for any particular tube, it may be valueble. "Magic eye" types being an example.

Take and chart a complete inventory. Report back with your findings.

You're bound to find some gems in there, and you can't beat the price!

It's probably be good if you could rehome them, even if you end up selling them through these boards. If you don't it's quite likely that they'll just continue to sit there until one day someone who doesn't have a need for them throws them out to make room. That'd be a tragedy.

Boxes of tubes almost always yield some diamonds in the rough. Take any boxes you can get. If nothing else, you could probably resell the boxes to someone here, untested. If you can get access to a tube tester, even better. Then you can offer some level of condition about the tubes.
Here's a link to a free program that makes finding tube datasheets much easier:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/

Peace,

Dave

Joined 2002
Paid Member
GOOD FIND

I'm sure you'll find some usable tubes in your boxes.

Plus these American tubes are getting harder and harder
to find, and they will bring a good amount of money
depending on the numbers.

And there are Radio restorers that hunt for those numbers
along with good numbers for amplifier use too..

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.