• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B amp schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Personally, I dont think there is such a thing as a 'Best Schematic for 300B'.....

Each designer will think that his design is the 'best'

What is best??--For you, one design may sound 'Best' but same design to me,- may sound crap!

Too subjective an issue....

As to Transformer winding/construction, a Good S.E. Output Transformer is VERY different from a power-transformer--not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but a Co used to making power/mains transformers may have no clue how to make a Good SE Transformer--they are completely different....:bawling:

You don't state if you need push pull because of the power factor.

So we'll assume SET.

Best I've heard out of all the things I've tried out is 10Y into 10Y into 300b. If you can get good transformers, then get something like two LL1660/10mA - one after the first 10y and one after the second.

you will be all trsanformer coupled and clean as hell. Detail with surprise you. the timbre of instruments will astonish you. The delicacy of the treble will enchant you.

You won't need to go roaming in Slottsparken at nights - you will just stay at home with an insane grin on your face. Gradually you will cease going out at all. You will forget about being samfundsbevisst. You will forget about samfund in general. You will be discovered in 70 years time still grinning.

andy

Best I've heard out of all the things I've tried out is 10Y into 10Y into 300b. If you can get good transformers, then get something like two LL1660/10mA - one after the first 10y and one after the second.

andy [/B]

Andy do you happen to have a simplified schematic? I've collected my stash of 210 tubes and want to try this exact configuration. What did you use for plate / bias voltages, etc? OPT impedance suggestions? 3K, 5K? Lundahl as well?

yop ,Bud is the one to deal with. I have a pair of his entry 5k OPTS for 45 Tube and they are great sounding OPTS .Full ,organic ,natural sound .
I gave up idea of building "the best" long time ago;) Even if you use the best components your chances are slim .
I've read some nice post recently that it's fairly easy (if not cheap)even for newbie to build good/very good sounding amp but to build great/ exceptional one is a totally different kettle of fish.
Best of luck and regards, L

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And the famous Hiraga version that got the ball rolling again in the West. (70s-80s)

sounded sublime with Partridge OPT, not bad with Tango

Attachments

• 300b-kit.gif
    300b-kit.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,056
With all due respect, maybe that fact that the two people recommending a certain type of transformers as the only ones they have heard that makes them like 300B amps should suggest to the OP that these are actually not appropriate. That is, lots of people like 300B amps. You guys, it would seem, do not. Presumably, someone wanting to build a 300B design wants to do so because they like what they have heard from the tube in other contexts, not because what they have heard from the tube in other contexts is terrible. Thus, logically they presumably want some transformer to make their amp sound like 300B's generally do, not transformers that sound different in some way.

Now, I have nothing at all against O'Netics. I've never used them, and for all I know they are indeed the best transformers around. I'm just saying the arguments being made don't make sense.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
dsavitsk said:
...recommending a certain type of transformers as the only ones they have heard that makes them like 300B amps....

Indeed. It does seem a bit odd. However Bud does build a great transformer. =)

The schematic I posted above is the best amp I have ever heard. (FWIW). It was a great amp with the Tango budget iron, sublime with the much more expensive iron. Still the same amp, tho. Just better with a better OPT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.