Quad II build for guitar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
SSalem is offline SSalem  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default Quad II build for guitar

Hi everyone, I'm very new to the diy audio scene, and I'm thinking about building a Quad II. Has anyone done this?

I found a schematic online: http://www.dc-daylight.ltd.uk/Valve-...cs/QUAD-II.pdf

Does that look accurate?

And my final question, Would this be a good choice to use for a guitar, as a standalone amp? if not, I'd probably still build it for the purpose of listening to music and build another amp for my guitar.

Thanks.
Old 17th March 2009, 05:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you are new to 'building from scratch', a low power tube amp for your guitar would be the place to start- lots of simple designs for tube guitar amps are out there, tried and true. You can build from a kit or from scratch with used parts, or....
And guitar amps are mono, so half the parts count - more or less.

Guitar amp (and guitar speaker)-not hifi- for guitar.

If necessary, you can listen to music (mono) through the guitar amp, but guitar through a hifi sounds terrible.

When you move to the hifi amp build- something low-power will be cheaper than the Quad and sound as good/better with the right speakers.

Welcome to diy!

John
Old 17th March 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Quad II build for guitar

Quote:
Originally posted by SSalem
Hi everyone, I'm very new to the diy audio scene, and I'm thinking about building a Quad II. Has anyone done this?

I found a schematic online: http://www.dc-daylight.ltd.uk/Valve-...cs/QUAD-II.pdf

Does that look accurate?

And my final question, Would this be a good choice to use for a guitar, as a standalone amp? if not, I'd probably still build it for the purpose of listening to music and build another amp for my guitar.

Thanks.
While building a "Quad II" replica is not impossible, there are several reasons why this is not a good idea, especially for use as a guitar amplifier.

For starters, the "correct" transformers are very expensive.

Second, a guitar amplifier has peculiar characteristics which make it suitable for guitar but not for hifi. eg the distortion and overload characteristics.

Have a look at the FENDER CHAMP, transformers can be found on the internet and it is cheap to build.

Andy
Old 17th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll try to look for some guitar amp projects, and go from there.

And thanks for the advice about the hifi, that could have been a serious mistake.

Thanks
Old 17th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Quad II build for guitar

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton

While building a "Quad II" replica is not impossible, there are several reasons why this is not a good idea, especially for use as a guitar amplifier.

For starters, the "correct" transformers are very expensive.

Second, a guitar amplifier has peculiar characteristics which make it suitable for guitar but not for hifi. eg the distortion and overload characteristics.

Have a look at the FENDER CHAMP, transformers can be found on the internet and it is cheap to build.

Andy
And thank you, too. I appreciate all the advice i can get. A Quad 2 replica is looking less and less appealing.

Also, just googling "quad ii transformers", I found this site: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri...uadspares.html

They have a guy who has transformers for 95 pounds. I'm not going for it, but if this can help anyone....
Old 17th March 2009, 09:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A good source for guitar amp transformers (I used them in an RH84 hifi amp and they sounded good there as well) at a very reasonable price is Matt Sespaniak .

Hoffman amps is also a reliable supplier for amp parts.

However,if you can get something closer to home, you will avoid the shipping costs, so look around. Anything 'close' in specs will work OK in a Champ or similar small amp.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!