• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

any simple circuits I can add to a dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Looking to learn a bit more about tubes, I have 2 dac kits sitting here waiting to be assembled on is from audiodiylab the dac301, which I can't seem to find a link for anymore, and the Opus dac from the twisted pear guys, found here. Is there anything that I could add to either one of these dacs using tubes? Not looking for a performance upgrade or anything just looking to learn a bit more about the subject, so hopefully there's something relatively simple that I can get my feet wet with? I already have a commercial tubed integrated otherwise i'd go that route, and build a pre-amp or something..

If anything comes to mind let me know:)
Tristan

I´d say that Lamp.....s tubecircuits aren´t the most impressive.

With the Opus there is no need for tube circuits. Just go for a good Lundahl transformer to go from balanced to unbalanced.

If you want to go tubes anyway, there are at least two threads in "Tubes" about about a "differential CF" solution for balanced to unbalanced. Kenpeter initially came up with the idea. You will need one 6DJ8/channel. This is the one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1666681#post1666681

Wether you choose Transformer, Differential CF,
or Wakko (Differential White Cathode Follower)
The important detail is that they are differential.

All the above reject common mode noises the
cables might pick up along the way. To include
any power supply noise belonging to the DAC.

For that reason, you might want this built close
or into your amp, rather than closer to the DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.