• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Parts mined from an AKAI 1800L, what to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I haven't tried anything with tubes, but I want to get in on that "tube" sound, and managed to get these parts from a broken cassette player. I think these are the original tubes.

12AT7
6CA4
3x6AR5

Looks like enough for a stereo single-ended amplifier. I'm not messing with preamps yet, since I don't need them.

These were driving 2 25W speakers, transformer isolated.

I read on wikipedia that the 12AT7 is more suited for high-frequency use and has lower transconductance than the 12AX7, which is more commonly used for audio.

If it's a faster part, maybe we can get away with higher open-loop gain (if anyone does any of that when designing with tubes :) ).

Anyways, I am mainly looking for a good amplifier that will allow me to experience the tube sound but with decent sound quality that will allow for use as perhaps my main listening amplifier (anything that sounds better than my cheap stereo). I don't know what all can be done with 2 tubes per channel, but I don't really know anything about tubes. I could also go tube-transistor hybrid, to step up the output power.

I have the original power trafo, all caked with mud, and I hope it won't explode if I try to plug it in. Maybe I should try soaking it in vinegar or something. Will it work after who knows how many years in rain and winter?

I have the original boards and all the components on them, which should minimize what I have to buy online.

Can someone point me to a project that will work with the devices I have?

Thank you,
- keantoken

The valuable parts you salvaged are the three transformers- assuming they work ok.
I wouldn't soak the power transformer in water/vinegar- no! Clean them up and even dry them in a warm-not hot- oven if you think they are damp at all.

You need to know what you are doing to work on these things safely, so I will not say much more.

If you can find a small 'wall-wort' AC adapter that outputs 10-20 v AC, you can use that for testing your transformers.

Those tubes are not very valuable so I would not be limited to using them, if I were you.

Something like the RH84 amp by Alex Kitic would be a good bet.

Cheers
John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1/ Alai 1800 is a reel-to-reel

What you probably want to do is recreate the SE amp that was in the Akai.

6AR5 is fairly common in Japanese kit (i have parts for a pair of monobloks). 12AT7 will be just fine for driver. 6CA4/EZ81 is fine as a rectifier.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'd try wiring it like an RH84... you'll get maximum power while retaining good sonics.

Finding a choke for the PS would be a good idea.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
keantoken said:
Is it important to give the heating filaments a regulated supply or can I just connect them to the AC? How much hum will be present?

Also, I can't find a manual for the 1800L without having to pay. Can anyone send me one?

AC heaters is fine...

You don't really need the manual... the amp you want to build is pretty simple... this is the one i'd start with... you could probably get away with just changing the size of the cathode R on the output tube -- maybe on the driver if the B+ you end up with is way different.

rh84_schX.gif

Tubes are pretty forgiving.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks good, wondering how you posted the pictures so the background doesn't show?

I should build me a similar amplifier, (I've got Nord Mende transformers, and Tele 6BQ5s - should be a nice and I am currently contemplating building a pair of Fonkens in the near future.. (I have a very large pair of Onkens in my main system so the Fonken seems like a natural.. :) )

Guys,

It should not be especially difficult for keantoken to map the RH84 design onto the "iron" and tubes he already has.

Based on the 6AR5 data sheet Dave (planet10) provided, the B+ rail will be "shorter" than that shown for the 6BQ5/EL84 setup. Would 10M45S CCS loading be a good idea for keeping the gain of the 'T7 section up, at a lower drop in the load? "Check valve" style decoupling between "finals" a voltage amplifiers is another way to hold losses down.

BTW, does anybody know what Akai used the 3rd 6AR5 for? Regulator? Bias erase oscillator? ...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kevinkr said:
[wondering how you posted the pictures so the background doesn't show?

gif with a transparent background.

I should build me a similar amplifier, (I've got Nord Mende transformers, and Tele 6BQ5s - should be a nice and I am currently contemplating building a pair of Fonkens in the near future.. (I have a very large pair of Onkens in my main system so the Fonken seems like a natural.. :) )

We've built a couple. My main amps are parafeed mono-blok variation with triode strapped EF86 on the front -- real giant killers (2 grundig consoles were iron donors)

Do you have the little ones or the big ones (i have a pair of each stashed). Nicely built, i expect the little ones will make a great tweeter amp.

Fonken are a really good match for the RH84. If you need the good drivers give me a call....

dave

Eli Duttman said:
Guys,

It should not be especially difficult for keantoken to map the RH84 design onto the "iron" and tubes he already has.

Based on the 6AR5 data sheet Dave (planet10) provided, the B+ rail will be "shorter" than that shown for the 6BQ5/EL84 setup. Would 10M45S CCS loading be a good idea for keeping the gain of the 'T7 section up, at a lower drop in the load? "Check valve" style decoupling between "finals" a voltage amplifiers is another way to hold losses down.

BTW, does anybody know what Akai used the 3rd 6AR5 for? Regulator? Bias erase oscillator? ...

If I go that way, I will probably build a discrete transistor CCS rather than order a new part online.

If I understand the terminology properly, this Akai played reels and cassettes.

Also, I found the motor out of the unit interesting. Would it be possible for me to build a decent record player with the motor? That would be heavy. :) The motor itself has significant mass and at the other end of the belt is a large aluminum disc that I'm guessing served to dampen the natural vibration of the motor.

Thanks,
- keantoken

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Eli Duttman said:
BTW, does anybody know what Akai used the 3rd 6AR5 for? Regulator? Bias erase oscillator?

I've seen a 3rd output tube in quite a few Japanese R-Rs. I suspect to drive some of the erase/record heads or somesuch. I think i have 2 sonys here i haven't dissasebbled yet. I could have a look to see if exactly what can be figured)

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
planet10 said:

I've seen a 3rd output tube in quite a few Japanese R-Rs. I suspect to drive some of the erase/record heads or somesuch. I think i have 2 sonys here i haven't dissasebbled yet. I could have a look to see if exactly what can be figured)

dave

Significant bias power is required for the erase head and a substantially lower power level for the record head. Someone recently gave me a Sony SRA3 recording amplifier and the matching deck. (I tend to be a magnet for this stuff.. :devilr: ) The bias oscillator in this unit is a 12BH7A. As the owner of an Otari MX-55 half track studio recorder and nicely restored half track ReVox G36 this Sony machine is going to a new home this very week-end.. :D (A Yankee swap at an upcoming audio gathering I going to.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.