• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output transformers bandwidth/frequency range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am looking around for affordable output transformers for my EL84 SE diy project. They have to have a good frequency range. I want them to at least match my old Kenwood KA-4002A solid state amplifier (frequency range 18-30.000Hz).

As far as i have found are the following:

1. NTR AU4a ( old louwe trafos ) frequency range unknown ( could somebody provide these details?
2. Edcore XSE15-8-5K, "only" 70-18.000Hz

Does someone know better output transformers? or do i have to buy in the 150,- euros and higher segment? ( Or maybe push-pull is a better idea, these are around ~70,- euros.

Does anybody have comments on this?

Thanks in advance,

Hilbert

As stated the Edcors are rated for reasonable performance at 15 watts. The stated frequency response is probably realistic for operation at that power level. I have made some measurements on the XSE15-8-5K at low powers using a 300B tube. The type of tube has a very small effect on the frequency response. The current has a greater effect on the low frequency response and the distortion. These transformers would be a good choice for an EL84 SE amp.

Measurements at 1 watt: frequency response is 8.3Hz to 45.9KHz with 50mA, and 16.6Hz to 45.6KHz with 80 mA.

I think the output will not exceed 5Watts, its for an EL84 amplifier, just one EL84 tube in the channel ( with ECC8(3/2/1) preamplifier tubes.

It is good to know this, is there a website which has a list of transformer producers in Europe? I have found one but a lot of pages are already gone.

Thanks so far!

Hi tubelab.com,

We posted on the same time.

I have a pair of B&W loudspeakers ( V201, 8ohm impedance, 50watts and a frequency response of 59Hz-22KHz ). Is that also on maximum level? or is that below that level?

I think i´ll go for the Edcor trafos, they are brand new and I think that is better compared to buying components that have been on the shelve for a long time. It also saves me some money which I could spend on better capacitors and loudspeaker connectors etc..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.