Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another TubeLab SimpleSE Build

Well I have decided to take the plunge into building a tube amplifier after finishing up my Class D amplifiers. After looking into some of the budget kits, S5 brand, I settled on a TubeLab SimpleSE. In the end it will cost a bit more but I also like being able to control what parts are being used. I have read through many of the build logs here and gathered ideas for parts and tips on what to use in my build. For some reason there is just something about the sound and glowing tubes that keeps drawing me back to these. I figure diyaudio could use just one more TubeLab SimpleSE build log.

Parts List:
All small components(resistors, capacitors, etc) will be the same values as seen on TubeLabs parts list as seen HERE
Allied 6K7VG Power Transformer
Triad C-14X Choke
Edcor GXSE15-8-5K Audio Transformer
Alps RK27 50k Potentiometer
Diversitech 80uf 370vac Motor Run Capcitor

Parts Needed:
2 - 10k 3W Metal Oxide Film Resistor
1 - 150k 3W Metal Oxide Film Resistor
5AR4 Rectifier Tube(solid state will be omitted from this build, read too many issues with the FRED diodes)
12AT7 Input Tube
Power Tubes
Switches
.22uf Auricaps
Chassis(going to build my own)

Questions:
- Any Recommendation for a pair of power output tube that will work good with my set up?
- As I was looking at switches it dawned on my that they need to be able to handle the current. The majority I see are able to handle 125vac, I figure that will be fine for the mains switch but how about the UL/Triode switch and cathode feedback switch?

Also if anyone has the three resistors in my parts needed list laying around I will buy them off you. Mouser has them on order and I have no idea when they will be back in.

Well now just have to wait for the board to arrive so that I can get to soldering.
Old 15th March 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pair of 2A3 RCA mono plate /for 5 kohm output tr./ & pair of E180F.
Projects: OTL-OCL 6AS7 Gen. Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, E84L Siemens, E236L Telefunken, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA,... PPs 6005 Gen. Electric, EL34 Mullard, 6L6....
Old 15th March 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply...although I dont know If I am ready to spend the cost of what it took to build the amp on a pair of tubes just yet. I have read others using E34L tubes and KT88 tubes. I suppose I could just give one of those two a try since they seem to be some what affordable and will introduce me to tubes while keeping my self on some what of a budget.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Another TubeLab SimpleSE Build

Quote:
Originally posted by nic6paul
Any Recommendation for a pair of power output tube
I like the 6p3s-e that you can find on eBay for less than $20 a pair.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The cheeps tubes are not a good idea for Hi-End project.....
E34L, 6P3S are for guitars amps.....KT88 are for big power PP amps
I prefer You for SE with good sound only triod tubes 2A3, 6S4S Russia, 6S41S
Russia, 1625 RCA, ....6LR8 - /triod-pentod....1 tube per channel/.
Projects: OTL-OCL 6AS7 Gen. Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, E84L Siemens, E236L Telefunken, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA,... PPs 6005 Gen. Electric, EL34 Mullard, 6L6....
Old 15th March 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

2A3's are more suited for the tubelabSE, not the simpleSE.
They are 4-pin DHT's; you'll need octal power tubes.

As already mentioned, EL34's or KT88's are a good place to start. You can also run 6V6/6L6/6L6GC's among others. In general, EL34's have great mids/vocals, KT88's have a little more bass, and slightly more power output. KT88's require a little more power out of the power transformer than EL34's.

Here is the link to Tubelab's tube data page:

http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManua...ormers_SSE.htm

You could also use NOS 6L6's (no GC) as they are affordable but have lower power output than the GC variety.

If you are on a budget, Tubelab George has had good luck with the chinese 6L6GC's.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boywonder
You could also use NOS 6L6's (no GC) as they are affordable but have lower power output than the GC variety.
Don't use the 6L6 (non-GC) variety. They like to see a B+ voltage around 380~390. The Allied 6K7VG power transformer will have you in the 440~460 range, which is too much. See what George has to say about it here.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:57 PM   #8
rkevans is offline rkevans  United States
diyAudio Member

Try alternate part number MOS3CT631R103J for the 10k 3W resistor.
For the 150k 3W power supply resistor, it would be fine to substitute a 160k part, so use 283-160K-RC.

For the 'first power test', use something cheap and current production. I like my JJ E34L more than the Chinese 6L6GC tubes, and they're only $10 more per pair. Don't bother with the 'Blue Glass' option, it's really not as cool as it sounds.

Rick
Old 15th March 2009, 11:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've had problems sourcing any 3W resistors at all in this country.... so am going to parallel a pair of 2W resistors in place to give an equivalent 4W resistance instead.....
Good luck with the build, my simpleSE kicks off in a week or so.....
Old 15th March 2009, 11:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

dont forget to double your resistance too when paralleling resistors! i had to do that too... digikey didn't have big enough ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!