• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes from Elektronska Tndustrija

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have any information of the quality of tubes from Elektronska Industrija in Bosnia? My friend who used to live in Bosnia recently went back for a visit and came back home with a bag full of tubes to play with. Any information on the KT90's,EL34's and ECC83's would be helpfull.

Joe

BOSNIA?!?!?
Maybe it's Ei Nis (Elektronska Industrija Nis) from Serbia (ex-Yugoslavia).
I live in a nearby country and it's mostly impossible that someone started the production of tubes in Bosnia....as far as I know,they have some completely priorities there....:mafioso:
If the tubes you're saying were coming from Bosnia,it's most likely an import.Can you post some photos,eventually with the logos and some internal details?
If they were of modern Ei production,just forget them...read other quality reports on the Net and you'll get the picture.
Or,at least,you can make someone happy:give them to a friend guitarist for use in that precious Marshall;)

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.

Ex Yugoslavia is correct.

They are current production hand picked/matched tubes. You say they are junk,quality is poor? What seems to be the problem? He did mention the matching took extra time because they didn't all test the same. Could you direct me to an article on the tubes?
Thanks

Joe

burnedfingers said:
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.

Joe

Actually,they don't...the problem is more case-sensitive one from the States could expect,for reasons that I don't intend to debate here.
As for the tubes,there are a lot of articles out there,most of them being very positive about Ei products....why?Simple,because there's a major comercial interest,most of those reviews being written by people who SELL those tubes.Maybe the most honest of them all is Steve M. at www.angela.com,who points that Ei ECC83's wich he's selling MIGHT become microphonic after some time.....
True,the old production coming from the Ei Nis factory ('till '80's) is OK,and I recall that some major Hi-End brands were ordered special series of tubes to them.
Things changed,however,because the factory started some kind of "cheap-economical " way of production,meaning poor quality control and,even worse,poorer quality materials.This is also the present situation,no matter what dealers say.
The only good thing is the Ei factory has a Philips-based technology.This explains,maybe,the close resemblance between a Philips NOS tube and their tube.But,alas,the comparison stops here....
So,to be more specific:
1.ECC 83 case:becomes VERY microphonic after 100 hours or so,making them futile in every gain stage.Their sound,also,is nothing special,on the "wooly"side,I'd say.
2.EL34 case:a true shame for the EL34 family.The differences between samples are enormous,and are worsening even in the case of selected pieces,meaning in real-life work conditions.Having them as a spare for some guitar amp,OK,but I'd rather stay away.My last experience with them was on a friend's Conrad-Johnson whose original WE's died abruptly,and we tried to resuscitate the amp using the most affordable version.No way,dude:from 4 "carefully mached "pairs,two of them were,actually,impaired (in each set,a tube was defective),and,after getting another set of spares,I hardly get to see the light when I biased them...all this on 550V/40 mA per tube!?!
3.KT 90:seems to be a challenge for the cheaper Chinese production.The same factory,the same problems,though..
If you want some Eastern Europe tubes,try get some Hungarian-made Tungsram's (only NOS,as they stopped the production in the mid-eighties)or,also,some older Tesla (actual JJ Tesla) products.True,these are not as good as Telefunken,Siemens or Valvo,but some were pretty close...and are much cheaper!
Greetings,

quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.

Oh, this is brilliant.

Joel

Son, give it a rest will you? If you have something positive to post concerning the topic please post. Otherwise.... please keep it to yourself and rest that precious ego of yours.

Le Basseur

No disrespect meant with regard to thinking Bosnia, Serbia all the same region. I am used to the region being Yugoslavia.

Thanks for your very informative information concerning the tubes.
I have roughly 125hrs on a preamp that contains 3 of the Yugoslavian ECC83 tubes. It shows no sign of microphonic action.

The fact that my friend had to go thru a bunch of tubes in order to end up with good matches does say alot for the quality control/inspection process. I have checked tubes from other manufacturers and have gotten matches 90% of the time with tubes from the same box.

From what I understand the factory has shut down its KT88 line due to problems and the same is true for some of its other lines. The ECC83's,EL34's and KT90's were promised to be trouble free. I will load up one of my Quicksilver amps and do some testing to see if I can find a problem.

Frank

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Joe

Hi Burned Fingers;

>>>...Anyone have any information of the quality of tubes from Elektronska Industrija ...<<<

FWIW I have used Ei ECC83's in my ASL MG Head and they're fine in that application. Of course I don't worry about microphonics much in a headphone amp.....and I've not bought any of their recent production ECC83's (these are all a couple of years old).

As far as recent QA is concerned, I'm less than impressed (at least visually) with Ei's products. I just bought some of their newer ECL82's and the comparison with the older pair I have here is of interest. If I could post a picture you'd know what I mean....suffice it to say that the older ones just plain LOOK more competently made on the inside. How the newer pair will perform electrically is an open question - I'll have to finish the amp I'm building now to find out.

This is all just from my own limited experience with Ei's products. YMMV, etc.

All the best,
Morse

Geo-moral quarrell...

I'm REALLY sorry and appologise to both of you for getting to this because my "over-precision" about the ex-YU thing.
Of course that burnedfingers didn't mean anything disrespectful,and I tooked it "as-is"....some speedy way of localising some tubes.
Simply put,the meaning of my reaction was to warn you about an aspect you'll eventually consider minor.For your own protection's sake,believe it or not....
If you are to meet some native from those two countries,the problem becomes,as I said,case-sensitive,and it seems it shall be that way for a generation or two.
So,shake hands,please....you're both too valuable individuals to get lost in stupidities.
Thank you!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Hi guys;

Here's the update on those Ei made 6BM8/ECL82's.

First off, they work just fine although no two pins on one valve are the same length and the other valve has an 'interesting' shape to the getter (bent during fabrication). Frankly the appearance was so unprepossessing of quality that I used 'em as my 'first power up valves' - and was prepared for all manner of misbehaviour from them. Thankfully there was no untoward behaviour from the first time I powered it up - and I now have maybe 20 or 25 hours on 'em.

The sound is surprisingly good in view of the garbage iron I'm running at the moment. After the PS upgrade, bass is tight and dynamic if not overly extended, and following the cap upgrade voices have very little sibilance. All in all they are very listenable valves, with a very smooth and musical midrange, so I guess it just goes to show that you can't judge a valve by it's cosmetics.

Darned if I know how well this translates to Ei's other products, but there it is FWIW.

All the best,
Morse

Or maybe you can judge a book by it's cover.....

Just had the darndest problem crop up with one of those recent production 6BM8's. It 'bangs' on power down. No question but that it's the valve - the problem follows the valve and goes away completely with any other 6BM8 in my stock.

So, maybe you really can judge a book by it's cover?

All the best,
Morse

You're been warned....

I'm really sorry you have to pass through such unpleasent experiences....I didn't reply deliberately on your pre-last announcement,waiting to happen what happened.Sometimes,it's better to let people learn by themselves....
It's not a very inspired approach to "judge a book by the cover",(I never do this),but now you must agree about the EI tubes and their quality issues.I've had problems with them way too long,so...that's it.
Get yourself some honest ECL 82/6BM8's and sleep safe and comfortably.;)
Good luck,and cheers!
Le Basseur

Re: Geo-moral quarrell...

Le Basseur said:
If you are to meet some native from those two countries,the problem becomes,as I said,case-sensitive,and it seems it shall be that way for a generation or two.
So,shake hands,please....you're both too valuable individuals to get lost in stupidities.
Thank you!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Being a native from Bosnia (in Canada now), I figure I'd reply to this thread :)
You will meet 2 sorts of natives from ex-Yugoslavia. Well 3, but those who did not live there through the war, their opinion I discount very quickly.
First type is the type that'll consider all the countries the same. Kind of rare.
Second type is the type that'll get offended when they are refered as (just for an example) being from Yugoslavia instead of Bosnia, etc.

I'm sort of in the middle. Although I'm not offended, I will correct people, unless I've told them before (or I don't really know them). Then for my sake, I just agree with whatever they say :)

Anyway, I think its a silly argument as it is, just thought I'd clarify it a little ;)

Hi Le Basseur;

Yes, you're quite right the Ei's do seem to have some very real QA issues. FWIW I'm going to "use up" my remaining pair (they were bought some years back and appear MUCH better made inside), keep the survivor from my startup pair as a spare, and stock up on Svetlana's and NOS. 'Til I read reliable info that they've cleaned up their quality act, those are the last Ei's I invest in.

It really is a pity, since I've had good luck with their 12AX7's, and the sound of the Ei 6BM8/ECL82 really is quite good. However, I've heard rumours that the QA has really dropped these days. Maybe it's the cruddy economy, or maybe it's the aftermath of the conflict there; who knows?

I just hate to see the pool of reliable newly made valves shrink. Let's all hope that Ei gets it's act together soon - we need all the valve makers we can get!

All the best,
Morse

PS - The wisest learn from other's mistakes, ordinary mortals learn from their own mistakes, and fools never do learn from anything at all. I guess I'm just an ordinary mortal since I was willing to buy a single new made pair of 'em even after I'd heard the rumours. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.