Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2003, 12:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tubes from Elektronska Tndustrija

Anyone have any information of the quality of tubes from Elektronska Industrija in Bosnia? My friend who used to live in Bosnia recently went back for a visit and came back home with a bag full of tubes to play with. Any information on the KT90's,EL34's and ECC83's would be helpfull.

Joe
Old 20th April 2003, 12:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

BOSNIA?!?!?
Maybe it's Ei Nis (Elektronska Industrija Nis) from Serbia (ex-Yugoslavia).
I live in a nearby country and it's mostly impossible that someone started the production of tubes in Bosnia....as far as I know,they have some completely priorities there....
If the tubes you're saying were coming from Bosnia,it's most likely an import.Can you post some photos,eventually with the logos and some internal details?
If they were of modern Ei production,just forget them...read other quality reports on the Net and you'll get the picture.
Or,at least,you can make someone happy:give them to a friend guitarist for use in that precious Marshall
Old 20th April 2003, 12:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.

Ex Yugoslavia is correct.

They are current production hand picked/matched tubes. You say they are junk,quality is poor? What seems to be the problem? He did mention the matching took extra time because they didn't all test the same. Could you direct me to an article on the tubes?
Thanks

Joe
Old 20th April 2003, 02:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.

Joe

Actually,they don't...the problem is more case-sensitive one from the States could expect,for reasons that I don't intend to debate here.
As for the tubes,there are a lot of articles out there,most of them being very positive about Ei products....why?Simple,because there's a major comercial interest,most of those reviews being written by people who SELL those tubes.Maybe the most honest of them all is Steve M. at www.angela.com,who points that Ei ECC83's wich he's selling MIGHT become microphonic after some time.....
True,the old production coming from the Ei Nis factory ('till '80's) is OK,and I recall that some major Hi-End brands were ordered special series of tubes to them.
Things changed,however,because the factory started some kind of "cheap-economical " way of production,meaning poor quality control and,even worse,poorer quality materials.This is also the present situation,no matter what dealers say.
The only good thing is the Ei factory has a Philips-based technology.This explains,maybe,the close resemblance between a Philips NOS tube and their tube.But,alas,the comparison stops here....
So,to be more specific:
1.ECC 83 case:becomes VERY microphonic after 100 hours or so,making them futile in every gain stage.Their sound,also,is nothing special,on the "wooly"side,I'd say.
2.EL34 case:a true shame for the EL34 family.The differences between samples are enormous,and are worsening even in the case of selected pieces,meaning in real-life work conditions.Having them as a spare for some guitar amp,OK,but I'd rather stay away.My last experience with them was on a friend's Conrad-Johnson whose original WE's died abruptly,and we tried to resuscitate the amp using the most affordable version.No way,dude:from 4 "carefully mached "pairs,two of them were,actually,impaired (in each set,a tube was defective),and,after getting another set of spares,I hardly get to see the light when I biased them...all this on 550V/40 mA per tube!?!
3.KT 90:seems to be a challenge for the cheaper Chinese production.The same factory,the same problems,though..
If you want some Eastern Europe tubes,try get some Hungarian-made Tungsram's (only NOS,as they stopped the production in the mid-eighties)or,also,some older Tesla (actual JJ Tesla) products.True,these are not as good as Telefunken,Siemens or Valvo,but some were pretty close...and are much cheaper!
Greetings,
Old 20th April 2003, 02:42 PM   #5
Joel is offline Joel  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.
Oh, this is brilliant.
Old 20th April 2003, 02:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Default EI

Hi,

EI in Nis near Beograd (Belgrade) is the only remaining independent Philips licensee.

More info can be found here:

Electronska Industrija

Cheers,
Old 20th April 2003, 03:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

quote:
I was thinking Bosnia, Serbia, all the same.

Oh, this is brilliant.

Joel

Son, give it a rest will you? If you have something positive to post concerning the topic please post. Otherwise.... please keep it to yourself and rest that precious ego of yours.

Le Basseur

No disrespect meant with regard to thinking Bosnia, Serbia all the same region. I am used to the region being Yugoslavia.

Thanks for your very informative information concerning the tubes.
I have roughly 125hrs on a preamp that contains 3 of the Yugoslavian ECC83 tubes. It shows no sign of microphonic action.

The fact that my friend had to go thru a bunch of tubes in order to end up with good matches does say alot for the quality control/inspection process. I have checked tubes from other manufacturers and have gotten matches 90% of the time with tubes from the same box.

From what I understand the factory has shut down its KT88 line due to problems and the same is true for some of its other lines. The ECC83's,EL34's and KT90's were promised to be trouble free. I will load up one of my Quicksilver amps and do some testing to see if I can find a problem.

Frank

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Joe
Old 20th April 2003, 03:40 PM   #8
Morse is offline Morse  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Burned Fingers;

>>>...Anyone have any information of the quality of tubes from Elektronska Industrija ...<<<

FWIW I have used Ei ECC83's in my ASL MG Head and they're fine in that application. Of course I don't worry about microphonics much in a headphone amp.....and I've not bought any of their recent production ECC83's (these are all a couple of years old).

As far as recent QA is concerned, I'm less than impressed (at least visually) with Ei's products. I just bought some of their newer ECL82's and the comparison with the older pair I have here is of interest. If I could post a picture you'd know what I mean....suffice it to say that the older ones just plain LOOK more competently made on the inside. How the newer pair will perform electrically is an open question - I'll have to finish the amp I'm building now to find out.

This is all just from my own limited experience with Ei's products. YMMV, etc.

All the best,
Morse
Old 20th April 2003, 03:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

just for the ecc83... use a svetlana please... just 10$ ea.
Old 20th April 2003, 05:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Default EI.

Hi,

Quote:
From what I understand the factory has shut down its KT88 line due to problems and the same is true for some of its other lines.
Joe,

To the best of my knowledge EI never put out any KT88s.

They do however have a more extended line than what's shown on the website, the EL509/519 for instance.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!