• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recommend a project for a n00b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I do music production and I'm also studying acoustic engineering at the moment, so I thought I'd combine these two things to keep me off the streets this easter.

Basically, I'd like to build a very simple tube distortion box which I can route audio from my computer and feed it back in. I've found various kits but they all seem to be chip based or they're whole tube power amplifiers.

Can anyone recommend anything?

If it helps, the audio ins and outs are balanced connections and if possible I'd like some control over the tone/drive.

Thanks in advance.

Hellow BassCharacter
I would be tempted to "lift" the front end design from one of the popular guitar amps. Just the first two gain sections and by that one dual triode tube. There some that are so common that I wont mention them here. You will need a way to make high voltage, say 100 to 200 volts, and that brings me to the question of safety. Does it bother you that you would be working with that kind of voltage?

I've done a fair bit of soldering but I'm not a pro. I've seen a couple of tutorials about winding your own transformer but I think I'd just buy one to be safe.

In any case I'll be standing back when I power on for the first time, and it certainly won't be connected to my computer. I built a couple of simple transistor amps which involved soldering up mains power (230V) and they went ok so I'm not too worried.

Les Paul Guitar amp by Gibson

Just use the first stages of the Les Paul Guitar amp by Gibson. Anyway if you want distortion then use a pentode up front. I think Paul used a 5879. The schematic ought to be easy to find. I have it if you can't find it. Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.