• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for Jim Morrison Siren Song preamp schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this schematic which was emailed to me years ago. I can't vouch for its accuracy, since I never built it. The entire article is on the sound practices CD which can be purchased on Ebay. Search for seller N5KAT.

Attachments

• jcmorrisonpreampa.jpg
    jcmorrisonpreampa.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,257
Siren song

I have the whole article in pdf along with the rest of the issue of Sound Practices!
I do not know would I infringe some copyright if I post it?
I enjoyed the article but learned a lot on what not to do and why by analyzing the schematics. As far as I recall, there were a few mistakes in the schematics that if were not generated only in presenting the schematics represent a design flaw of more serious nature.
The line section is nothing special, actually too plain and "undefendable".
Let me know about the copyright...

Didn't the author revise the schematic later to correct them? I don't know about copyright on a business that has gone under. If you want you could email it directly to me then you're not posting in a public forum.

I'm trying to build the ultimate 6SN7 based line stage and a friend thought he remembered this one being good. I would transformer couple for output.

Re: Siren song

Alex Kitic said:
Let me know about the copyright...

I don't think there are any copyright issues in this case. Many people have been reselling paper or electronic copies of SP with impunity. A freebie won't hurt anyone but the greedy resellers.

salas said:
A member here, Cygnus X1 has a Siren's song too. What were your impressions from it, analog_sa?

I disassembled it rather fast. At the time a Marantz 7 clone was better in every respect.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
talkin' about line stages ....... Siren Song isn't one :rofl:

I'm also always for WOT type of line stage ..... but my cup.... is also usage of tube with more xconductance ( and adequate gain) , comparing to good ole 6SN7 .

with that tube (xSN7 ) in WOT , you'll always have cream of WOT stage , but not guts ....

as always - YMMustV

8/8

Attachments

• pages-from-sp4shr.jpg
    pages-from-sp4shr.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 703
IF YOU DO NOT NEED WOT...

Phrarod,

if you do not necessarily need to build a WOT (With Output Transformer), than take a look at the RPA on my website www.tubeaudio.8m.com

The line stage of the RPA was built by lots of diy audiophiles under the name LPA or something like that (coined by my friend Elvis...). He also used to have it on his website, but the website is now nowhere to be found.

Yes, it is shown with ECC82, but as you probably know, the ECC82 is a sub for the 6SN7 (same basic curves, but different voltage, current etc. max. handling, and octal socket...). Therefore, lots of DIYers built it with 6SN7 or even double 6N7 (if I have not mistaken the tube name for one half of a 6SN7).

Depending on the quality of the parts used, and the quality of the power supply, it might just be the right choice for you. It is the right choice for me (but with 5670 for higher gain and slightly different sonics) and all my attempts to better the concept with WOT have failed, maybe due to a lack of very high quality output transformer (I always plug it into the same power supply, so it has nothing to do with PSU and parts quality... aside the output transformer).

Regards,
Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.