Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Kolloi is offline Kolloi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

I have a very old tube-based oscilloscope (Tektronic) and the thought occurred to me that it should be relatively simple to convert this into an audio amplifier. Has anyone else thought of this before? Is it possible and how would you do it? Thanks
Old 8th March 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolloi
I have a very old tube-based oscilloscope (Tektronic) and the thought occurred to me that it should be relatively simple to convert this into an audio amplifier. Has anyone else thought of this before? Is it possible and how would you do it? Thanks
Relatively Simple?

Your skill level is way beyond mine I guess, but it's possible. Then again you can probably convert an old wringer washing machine into an amplifier if you wanted to.

Some of the old MIG fighters jets also used tube electronics, but I think I'd give that one a pass as well.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 8th March 2009, 11:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
Some of the old MIG fighters jets also used tube electronics, but I think I'd give that one a pass as well.

Hmmm, I dunno . . . . . . . . It 'd be kind of cool to say to a friend "Want to go for a ride in my stereo?"
Old 8th March 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hearinspace

Hmmm, I dunno . . . . . . . . It 'd be kind of cool to say to a friend "Want to go for a ride in my stereo?"
For stereo you'll need another MIG, but being "the Wingman" is an honest position.
FWIW, Migs only come in mono.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 9th March 2009, 12:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO

FWIW, Migs only come in mono.
Right you are Terry ! I can see you've really thought this through.
Well, maybe a P-38 will do the trick . . .
Old 9th March 2009, 12:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I read this with great fascination last time:

http://www.skylighters.org/howalightworks/index.html

those sound locators , whoa
Old 9th March 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
BFNY is offline BFNY  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolloi
You can likely salvage the power transformer, ceramic wiring posts, some tubes, and sockets. One of the old Teks was full of 6922s, maybe you have that one?
You'll still need output transformers and power tubes to build a tube amp.

See info on TX here

http://www.pmillett.com/Tek_xfmrs.htm

Bob
Old 9th March 2009, 01:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello Kolloi,
uhmmm, first I don't want to sound like a picky bastard, but it's Tektronix.
And you'd be better off selling that nice vintage oscilloscope than turning it into an amplifier.

But if you want to stay technical, yes it is totally possible. Remove the CRT and HV supply (so you don't get more electrocuted than you really need) and replace the vertical output section with an output transformer. this is where I stop giving advice because it requires calculations on impedance matching (what tubes are used in the vertical section, before that, what model of oscilloscope is it?) and I am quite rusty at that.

But yes, it's "do-able". there is another thread here on diyaudio in where a reader transformed his old eico scope into a guitar amplifier.
Old 9th March 2009, 01:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Someone else here recently asked the same Q and was gonna build a guitar amp out of an o-scope. Unfortunately he decided to gut the parts and make it on a new chassis before he received my suggestion to build it in the same case (a LOT less work) and put a small stage monitor loudspeaker in the hole where the toob was. Parts Express has a nice Dayton 5" speaker that will work as a guitar speaker.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 9th March 2009, 01:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

awh, that's too bad. although I am guilty of destroying vintage stuff too. Dare I say : "demolishing a vintage tube heathkit scope"? Yeah. Stupid me.

Anyway, that's the way I'd do it: like you said, put a little 5 inch right where the tube (toob ) was. Not much bass, but definitely will get comments at a gig!

and noone would be able to understand the "tone controls". LOL

give me more "intensity"... No I said more intensity not vertical amplitude!

O

Hide this!Advertise here!