• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kolloi said:
I have a very old tube-based oscilloscope (Tektronic) and the thought occurred to me that it should be relatively simple to convert this into an audio amplifier. Has anyone else thought of this before? Is it possible and how would you do it? Thanks

Relatively Simple?

Your skill level is way beyond mine I guess, but it's possible. Then again you can probably convert an old wringer washing machine into an amplifier if you wanted to.

Some of the old MIG fighters jets also used tube electronics, but I think I'd give that one a pass as well.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Re: Re: Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Hearinspace said:

Hmmm, I dunno . . . . . . . . It 'd be kind of cool to say to a friend "Want to go for a ride in my stereo?"

For stereo you'll need another MIG, but being "the Wingman" is an honest position.
FWIW, Migs only come in mono.
:xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Kolloi said:
I have a very old tube-based oscilloscope (Tektronic) and the thought occurred to me that it should be relatively simple to convert this into an audio amplifier. Has anyone else thought of this before? Is it possible and how would you do it? Thanks

You can likely salvage the power transformer, ceramic wiring posts, some tubes, and sockets. One of the old Teks was full of 6922s, maybe you have that one?
You'll still need output transformers and power tubes to build a tube amp.

See info on TX here

http://www.pmillett.com/Tek_xfmrs.htm

Bob

Hello Kolloi,
uhmmm, first I don't want to sound like a picky bastard, but it's Tektronix.
And you'd be better off selling that nice vintage oscilloscope than turning it into an amplifier.

But if you want to stay technical, yes it is totally possible. Remove the CRT and HV supply (so you don't get more electrocuted than you really need) and replace the vertical output section with an output transformer. this is where I stop giving advice because it requires calculations on impedance matching (what tubes are used in the vertical section, before that, what model of oscilloscope is it?) and I am quite rusty at that.

But yes, it's "do-able". there is another thread here on diyaudio in where a reader transformed his old eico scope into a guitar amplifier.

Someone else here recently asked the same Q and was gonna build a guitar amp out of an o-scope. Unfortunately he decided to gut the parts and make it on a new chassis before he received my suggestion to build it in the same case (a LOT less work) and put a small stage monitor loudspeaker in the hole where the toob was. Parts Express has a nice Dayton 5" speaker that will work as a guitar speaker.

awh, that's too bad. although I am guilty of destroying vintage stuff too. Dare I say : "demolishing a vintage tube heathkit scope"? Yeah. Stupid me.

Anyway, that's the way I'd do it: like you said, put a little 5 inch right where the tube (toob:D ) was. Not much bass, but definitely will get comments at a gig!

and noone would be able to understand the "tone controls". LOL

give me more "intensity"... No I said more intensity not vertical amplitude!

O

Kolloi,
Check out George HiFi's post #1737 in:
Amplifiers >Solid State >Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp.
Don't have any knowledge about this; just made the connection to your post.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1761695#post1761695

georgehifi said:
The best tube buffer I have heard is one that was first used in an early high end tube Tektronics Osciloscope (attached below) fondly called now as the SLCF (super linear cathode follower) buffer.

Charles

Kolloi said:

Sure, it can be done, but why would you want to? You could use the vertical deflection subsystem as an audio preamp, but that's in all likelyhood a distributed amp with BWs in the MHz range, way more than any preamp really needs. Be better to either put it to use, or fraud-bay it for $$$$ to buy parts for an audio project.

Re: Re: Possible to convert an oscilloscope into a tube amp?

Miles Prower said:

Sure, it can be done, but why would you want to? You could use the vertical deflection subsystem as an audio preamp, but that's in all likelyhood a distributed amp with BWs in the MHz range, way more than any preamp really needs. Be better to either put it to use, or fraud-bay it for $$$$ to buy parts for an audio project.

Last I checked. these old heavy tube scopes go for almost zero bucks in the used market, unless they are the one model that are full of bugle boys. Ever lift one of the classic tubed TEKs? Hernia city. You are looking at over 50. to get it across town. Unless you are a collector, (and most have all they want by now), no one I know wants 'em, (except local pickup for free).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.