• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube bias testers, your opinions, please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This brings up a question I have about these adaptors.
I just built one of these myself, and I'm going to add the 1R resistor externally instead of having it inside the adapter. My question is, these types of bias measuring devices can't really be used on SE amps, can they? The reason I ask is that typically the SE amps I have run high wattage power resistors as the cathode bias resistor (10-25w). They don't make 10W 1R 1% power resistors, do they? I'm afraid that I'll cook the 1R resistor on the adapter if I just use an average 1/2W resistor. Any suggestions?
Sorry for the hijack, but this question is kind of relevant.

Glenn

I just mount a couple Tip Jacks from mouser on the rear of the chassis, add a couple of 1 ohm 1 watt resistors, very simple setup.
It's plenty accurate enough and easy access.

Heres one I have put hundreds of hours on. Just plug the cheapo meter in on the 200mv scale and your good to go.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nihilist said:
If it is just as simple as measurig the voltage from the Cathode through a precision 1 0hm resistor, and the Mv=Ma , then couldn't I do that to the Plate and get a more accurate reading (no screen draw ) ?

Thanks for the info !

.......................Blake

Yes, you can but you need two terminals and they'll be at deadly dangerous voltage. Measure at the cathode.

Ok,

So I'll need to hook up one end of the resistor to the cathode , and the other end floats ? Attach one lead of the VM to each side of the 1 ohm resistor , and Mv=Ma ?

I am running only 1 cathode bias resistor for both tubes, so I would need to divide the Mv/Ma# by two , right ?

Then subtract the cathode bias voltage from the Anode voltage, take that # and multiply it by the Ma's to get total power for the Anode ?

Anode V= 405V

Cathode Bias V= -30V

Actual V= 375V

Ma's/2 x 375V= Total Power across Anode

I am running my output tubes with a single cathode bias resistor without a bypass capacitor (differentially). As far as I understand it, I need to run the outputs in Class A for this to work properly. I am planning on running them at about 90% of rated Anode power. Is this the correct way to go, or should I run them at a higher or lower percent ?

.................................Blake

If I place a 1 ohm resistor between my cathode and ground, this is parallelling the cathode bias resistor, which is NOT what I want to do. What am I missing here ?

I don't want to run A/B. I was under the impression that when running a single cathode bias resistor without a bypass cap (differential) that you MUST run class A , or that the amp will have major distortion when it goes into B.

Would it help to see a schematic ?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5166/myampschematic169aarevizj4.png

........................Blake

OK, that's what I previously thought. Sometimes I get a little turned around with all the different options. . . .

So I have 60Ma across my Cathode resistor, according to Ohms law. So that is 30 Ma per tube, or 11.25W give or take.

For a triode tied 6P6S , this is about 85% of Max power at the Anode (13.2W).

For my situation using differential bias on the outputs , should I bias it up higher, closer to the theoretical max ?

What is the practical upper limit , 90% , 95% of Anode Max ?

.......................Blake

I made my own unit-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lez/YAQIN MC10/Valve bias meter pic_1.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lez/YAQIN MC10/Valve amp bias current checker.TIF

Although intended to check out my Yaqin EL34 amplifer, it has been very useful for matching up tubes in guitar amplifiers such as Marshall's.

I have been experimenting, with some success, a 100/120Hz low pass filter for feeding an oscilloscope. It enables one to crank up the scopes gain without noise issues and observe the ripple on the amplifiers output. After setting the correct bias on both PP output valves, although the ripple is so low, the filter enables one to fine tweak the bias on one tube for minimum ripple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.