• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sourcing OPTs in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build a Simple SE soon (if George has my order), and am planning components.

Aussies - where to you generally source transformers, the only supplier I have found (evatco) has Hammonds only (which I may go for yet anyway) - are there any others I should be looking for???

TIA

I have not used any of these, but thisis what I have gathered over the past year or so:

Southern Electronic Services: (03) 9706 4202 http://www.southernelectronicservices.com.au/audio-transformers.htm I have read reports that these are a little 'better' than Lundahl, but I'd not put too much stock in that beyond thinking they are prob better than decent.

Russ (has bought the well regarded Lancroft designs) email address : lingo at optusnet dot com dot au. phone # 03 9580 4445

I still lament not having bought from Black Art Audio when they were up and running - amongst the 'best' available at any price.

I could also be tempted to purchase from OS, though exchange rates are the killer for us the moment.

Cheers

I'm in New Zealand and I've tried a few different PP and SE transformers from the lower end of the price band (Transcendar, Hammond, recycled, etc).

The best transformers I've used to date were from Electraprint. My most recent purchase was a pair of 20w pp. The manufactur's claimed frequency response was (-1 dB) 10Hz to 26KHz but in an EL84 amp putting out about 12w I measured (-0.5 dB) 10Hz to 75KHz. The square wave output was stunningly good too.

Total cost for the Electraprints was $300USD including freight which I think is great value (I admit I purchased them before the exchange rate crapped out)... :bawling:

Kind Regards
Andrew

Depending on what quality you are after, Edcor, even with freight and exchange rate are very good. The Hammonds you can get from the Australian distributor are grossly over-priced. There has been a bit of talk lately about the quality of the Hammond power transformers lately too (not good).

Edcor make a power transformer that is suitable for the Simple SE (same spec as the Hammond 374BX) Edcor XPWR059. I think it would be about $100 US shipped, about $100 AUD cheaper than the Hammond from the Ausy source listed above.

People have had good success with Edcor output transformers too. Plenty of Simple SE build on this forum listing results...

Cheers,

Chris

rcdaniel said:
I still lament not having bought from Black Art Audio when they were up and running - amongst the 'best' available at any price.
Lucas is still in business and winding iron.

There will apparently be a new website up soonish, and I believe he is very busy with his 'day' work and a recent move in residence.

Lucas is still in business and winding iron.

Brett, that is great news. The last I had heard - several years ago - was that Lucas had gotten out of audio transformer winding to deisign and build equipment for vehicle tuning or some such.

Lucas' transformers are very well regarded OS... one piano tuner used to order Black Art transformers and ship 'em back to the US. Based on others' opinions and my discussions with Lucas back in the day, I would go with Black Art before the others mentioned here.

Great news indeed.

Curious to hear what if anything you may have heard negative about Pat which would prompt you to choose Lucas in preference...

Nothing at all. I am guessing that Pat makes some excellent transformers. Perhaps, in my initial excitement about Lucas, I made a judgment without looking at all options. As stated in my post, I would opt for Black Art based on others' opinions and discussion and - not stated - a little bit of nostalgia on my behalf :)

Pat's site is very informative and he seems to know what he is doing and likely does it very well. I also like that he has put a little of his Hx and philosophies etc. on his site. Perhaps I could look forward rather than back...

It makes sense for one to discuss their needs with a few of these suppliers and see which winder would be most appropriate.

Again, nothing against Pat. Based on his site, quite the opposite.

Cheers

rcdaniel said:

Lucas' transformers are very well regarded OS... one piano tuner used to order Black Art transformers and ship 'em back to the US. Based on others' opinions and my discussions with Lucas back in the day, I would go with Black Art before the others mentioned here.

Great news indeed.

Hi RC
Lucas is still winding and has a couple of new products ,reg filiments supplys,reg B= supplys and a new range of plate chokes
Hes just moved twice in one year so hes almost set up.
Heres his new website not finished yet but the contact details are current ,he is still a bit hard and does take a couple of days to return emails .The website isn't finished yet .
http://www.black-art.com.au/audio/contact.php

I'm in the process of building a SET based active system using a new circuit hes come up with .The plate chokes are on the right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
56oval said:

Hi RC
Lucas is still winding and has a couple of new products ,reg filiments supplys,reg B= supplys and a new range of plate chokes
Hes just moved twice in one year so hes almost set up.
Heres his new website not finished yet but the contact details are current ,he is still a bit hard and does take a couple of days to return emails .The website isn't finished yet .
http://www.black-art.com.au/audio/contact.php

I'm in the process of building a SET based active system using a new circuit hes come up with .The plate chokes are on the right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers

Those look quite nice, I'll be interested to hear how that amplifier turns out, might even make sense to get some made and exported stateside. (Definite dearth of c cores here except for Lundahl which are not at all inexpensive.)

I used Electraprints in my headphone amplifier and was rather pleased with the overall result.

kevinkr said:

Those look quite nice, I'll be interested to hear how that amplifier turns out, might even make sense to get some made and exported stateside. (Definite dearth of c cores here except for Lundahl which are not at all inexpensive.)

I used Electraprints in my headphone amplifier and was rather pleased with the overall result.

Hi Kevin

The US dollar is strong compared to the AU at the moment .

Cheers

Woah! Sounds (and looks!) like an awesome project! I will be very interested to see what Lucas has come up with in the last few years.

That iron looks very nice. Substantial in size and build. I am hoping Lucas went ahead with the development of the 4k5 55mA output TX… I see a lowish dissipation 300B in my future.

might even make sense to get some made and exported stateside.

As 56oval has said, the exchange rates are in your favour! I'd be interested to hear what you thought of them.

Cheers

Some good sources..... given shipping from the US (US$90 +) for a pair of OPTs, plus our cruddy dollar at present makes it more viable to shop locally that's for sure.....

Another similar question - building the Simple SE needs a pair of 500V caps (47uF and 120uF) - the ONLY 500V caps I can find so far in Australia are chassis mount, and I'd prefer to go for radial mount to keep them on the PCB (one week delivery to Newcastle too - thanks George!).... any sources for these sort of capacitors??

Another similar question - building the Simple SE needs a pair of 500V caps (47uF and 120uF) - the ONLY 500V caps I can find so far in Australia are chassis mount, and I'd prefer to go for radial mount to keep them on the PCB (one week delivery to Newcastle too - thanks George!).... any sources for these sort of capacitors?? [/B]

Hi Astrodog
Do a aussie Google search for JJ caps .
Try
http://evatco.com.au/
or
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.