• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

29GK6 heater current?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just purchased a large quantity of new 29GK6's, but cannot find the filament current for these tubes. I've tried the usual sources -- the sites sponsored by Frank Phillipse, Duncan Amps, NJ7P, and Franz Hamberger --, and even a few old ARRL handbooks, but have drawn a blank.

Can anyone provide this data? Thanks in advance.

Hello BST,

I do not have the heater current specs to share with you. I think if you were to set up one of the tubes and measure the current you would find it is on the order of 0.165 amps or 165 ma at 29 volts. The reasoning behind this estimate is the 6GK6 heater voltage is 6.3v at 760ma. or 4.78 watts. The 29GK6 will likely require the same heater power in watts to properly heat it. Thus, 29 * 0.165 = 4.785 watts. Just an estimate but it is likely very close to reality.

Mickeystan

Thanks to all for your detailed replies!

I have an 'orphan' 1-amp constant-voltage transformer which I haven't previously been able to utilize. My line voltage fluctuates between 122 and 127 volts, and this transformer stabilizes inputs from 112 - 132 volts to a nominal 115 volt output.

This will be just the ticket for a series heater string with 4 x 29gk6s in a push-pull stereo amp.

Thanks again!

The 29GK6 and the rest of the *GK6 family are identical to the EL84/6BQ5 except for heater voltages and pinout. I have about 50 or so 29GK6's, most are GE made, 5 Philco branded ones are Japanese made. All the GE's use innards that are European- they look (and sound) like Amperex EL84 tubes.

Here's an amp I built a while back with 29GK6's then later changed to use 10GK6 tubes. diytube.com :: View topic - ST-35 with Compactrons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.