Want to build tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2009, 12:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Want to build tube amp

I am considering trying to build my own tube amp. Never built anything like an amp before. Very limited knowledge. Willing to apply myself and learn whatever it takes. Would like to build about a 25w stereo amp, high quality, preferably from a kit.
Any suggestions? Advice? Direction.
Might sound like I am biting off more than I can chew, but I am very diligent and never give up!
OK...blast me!
Jeff
Old 6th March 2009, 12:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default why? What music? What speakers?

What source? What bank balance? What skills? Not being negative at all - go for your life! But hard to recommend if those minor details are unknown...
Old 6th March 2009, 01:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What's the budget?
Old 6th March 2009, 01:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

^^^ agree, need a bit more information to make a suggestion. Just some advice too, 25watts in tube SE = difficult to dangerous, in tube PP = easier but can be complicated. Read up very closely on tube safety, tube can be dangerous or deadly! Otherwise, as long as you are diligent, cool headed, persistent, and don't mind reading, you have come to the right place.

BTW keep cost in mind too, as you add watts to a tube amp, you add dollar signs quick, even more so than with solid state.

Cheers

James
Old 6th March 2009, 03:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Jeff,

A 30 WPC "integrated" amp is easy enough. Build an "El Cheapo Grande". A short distance down the page you will find this thread. Another fellow wants to build his 1st amp and he's interested in "El Cheapo". An ECG uses the same 12AT7 based splitter/driver, a "taller" B+ rail, and 7591 O/P tubes.
Old 6th March 2009, 06:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Look for a 6V6GT based design......

I think there is one on the Web called the Music Machine. Buy good trannys like Magnequest or Sowter.
Old 6th March 2009, 07:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Poinz' 6V6 music machine is triode wired for 6-7 watts, and his EL34 version is triode wired for 16 watts.

What about an ST-70 dynaclone?

Available as a kit, parts, or scrounge for iron and scratch build.

Here is a link for a Dynaclone ST-70 kit:

http://store.triodestore.com/dynacoupgrades.html

There are other variations of these kits around also. Depending on your skill level, should be straightforward to build, and you can modify it later (triode, etc) for additional joy.

Hide this!Advertise here!