Back to back transformers. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2009, 02:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Back to back transformers.

I know this has been discussed many times but I can't find the threads I remember in a search.

On the topic of using back to back transformers for HV supplies (say 120VAC:12VAC wired to a 12VAC:120VAC), I am trying to remember all the aspects of getting it right.

The one I remember is that the transformer hooked up to the mains should have a larger VA rating to accomodate it's own mag current plus the draw from the other transformer.

The one I can't remember is the caveat about dissimilar voltage ratings or ratios (i.e. a 120VAC:12VAC transformer feeding a 6VAC or 9VAC:120VAC transformer). What's the "gotcha" for that situation?
Old 5th March 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The problem of feeding 12V to a 6 or 9V winding is that you will be overloading the second transformer... too high a magnetization flux (?).

Conversely, if you feed the 12V to a 15V winding you will be 'undermagnetizing' the second core...you can do it, but you should derate the VA rating of the second transformer.

And now some EE can come and explain it over again
Old 5th March 2009, 05:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default not an EE but...

watchouts for me would be: in either case you are going ot have losses - so two identical transformers back to back will not produce the same output as input. THe loss factor depends on the transformer design and quality, but I would imagine up to 30% end to end.

Your second situation implies that your output winding is going to be at a higher voltage than it was designed for. Question here is will the insulation hold out? Otherwise, as above applies - and look to stay withing the original the VA rating, which means your current output will be lower than original spec (cos the voltage is higher...) MTCW.

Hide this!Advertise here!