Tube Mic Preamp - which Edcor transformer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
pftrvlr is offline pftrvlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Mic Preamp - which Edcor transformer?

I am starting to build an all-tube microphone preamp. Planning to use two stages of 12AX7 and one 6922 SRPP output, now I am looking for the input and output transformers. Edcor looks to have what I need, but their web site does not a lot of information. Any suggestions on which Edcor transformer will work better?

Thx.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've never used Edcor transformers. I checked out their web page and looked at their mic input transformers, specifically their 1:8 ratio ones as that's the kind of ratio you need for a tube mic pre.

I note that:

1. Specs do not define the operating level at which measurements are made

2. There is no magnetic screening

3. They are quite inexpensive

I have no proof but I expect these are relatively poor mic transformers. You would probably be better looking at Jensen for example or Lunfdahl or Sowter.

Cheers

ian
Old 19th April 2009, 03:09 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Whichever transformers you choose, make sure that they will work well into the rather heavy capacitive load presented by your chosen 12AX7 input tube.

The Edcor plots I saw did specify the level. The left hand axis was marked "dBU." Distortion looked pretty good.
Old 19th April 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

FWIW I was not that happy with the sonics of the Edcor interstage that I tried. It could have been misapplication, I'm not a valve guy.
Old 19th April 2009, 04:05 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Was that the one you used in your ST-70?
Old 19th April 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes that was my hybrid experiment, Walt Jung's AD823/AD815 line stage directly driving an ST70 output stage with no global FB via a step-up interstage. Didn't really rock my boat.
Old 19th April 2009, 06:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY The Edcor plots I saw did specify the level. The left hand axis was marked "dBU." Distortion looked pretty good. [/B]
Yes, they did, but they fail to say whether it is input or output level; I suspect they are output levels. Also all the distortion characteristics look identical. I would very very surprised if a 23 dollar transformer can achieve better than 0.01% distortion at 10Hz at +18dBu output. If it can I'll take a truck load.

Cheers

Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!