• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Mic Preamp - which Edcor transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am starting to build an all-tube microphone preamp. Planning to use two stages of 12AX7 and one 6922 SRPP output, now I am looking for the input and output transformers. Edcor looks to have what I need, but their web site does not a lot of information. Any suggestions on which Edcor transformer will work better?

Thx.

I've never used Edcor transformers. I checked out their web page and looked at their mic input transformers, specifically their 1:8 ratio ones as that's the kind of ratio you need for a tube mic pre.

I note that:

1. Specs do not define the operating level at which measurements are made

2. There is no magnetic screening

3. They are quite inexpensive

I have no proof but I expect these are relatively poor mic transformers. You would probably be better looking at Jensen for example or Lunfdahl or Sowter.

Cheers

ian

Originally posted by SY The Edcor plots I saw did specify the level. The left hand axis was marked "dBU." Distortion looked pretty good. [/B]

Yes, they did, but they fail to say whether it is input or output level; I suspect they are output levels. Also all the distortion characteristics look identical. I would very very surprised if a 23 dollar transformer can achieve better than 0.01% distortion at 10Hz at +18dBu output. If it can I'll take a truck load.

Cheers

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.