• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question about Allied & Hammond Power Transformer Ratings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wondering how Allied & Hammond rate their power transformers maximum current output - are the current maximums shown for both sides of the secondaries under load, or is that the maximum current that can be drawn in the standard center tapped arrangement where only one side of the transformer is under load at a time?

The transformer current rating is AC, from 1 end of the secondary winding to the other (not to center tap). The permisable average DC current draw is about equal to the AC rating, when using the standard full wave rectifier with capacitor input(centertap grounded, 2 diode config).

If your using bridge rectification (four diodes), the permissable DC current draw will be between .5 to .7 that of the transformers rating. However, your DC output voltage will be aprox. twice that of a full wave rectified.

read this
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf

I also recomend downloading PSUD2 for simulating power supplies. It's more accurate than the generalities I mentioned above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.