• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Leak TL12 replica using 807s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of building a stereo version of the Leak TL12, but using 807s instead of the triode-connected KT66, and 6SN7 instead of ECC33.

I have a couple of fire-engine red Mullard EF37A lying around, and some output transformers that should be ok.

Would this work, or would I be running the 807s too hard? Would I be better off connecting the outputs as ultralinear instead of triode?

Schematic
here

Anyone have experience with this amp? It seems to have a very good reputation! Thanks.

:D :D :D :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Go for it!

I believe that Langford-Smith (He of RDH4) got away with making a Williamson using triode-strapped 807 instead of triode-strapped KT66, and the output stage conditions are virtually identical, so you should be OK. If you leave a little room around the output valves, you could always change later to KT66 if it proves necessary.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
GREEN LIGHT TOO.

Hi,

Would this work, or would I be running the 807s too hard? Would I be better off connecting the outputs as ultralinear instead of triode?

Actually I've done this kind of work on a few Leaks already years ago.
While I left the input tubes in place (they last forever anyway) I changed the sockets of the KTs to UX5s and put in 807s in triode mode.

Worked straight away and sounded fine too us.;)

Another alternative would be the loctal based 5B/255M which was designed (I believe) as a 'miniature' 807 replacement . This does not require a topcap and is another cheapie . Topcapped version is the even cheaper 5B/254M or 20V filament versions (5B/258m?) can be had dirt cheap . Only disadvantage is that ITT/STC were the only manufacturer , the 807 is more widely available and therefore cheaper

316a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.