• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido All in One line stage amp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
chatziva said:

do you know where i can get one?

Its very new, but some are probably in the process building it now
But why should it be very different from his other options, which are very popular
But hard to imagine they would be better
But we know that different supply may make a significant differense

Im sure it wont be long before Broskie have them stocked again

Slightly better or slightly worse than the original Aikido, the point of is that it's easy - all in one!
For a newstarter in valve preamps, that's the important point. And this all-in-one Aikido certainly has a selling point :smash:

Indeed very well done!

I am looking forward to this.

I hate to bump an old thread, but since I have a question on it...might as well.

Has anyone built one of these (specifically thinking the octal version)?

I noticed there's a bunch of parts that can be ordered with the PCB...any advice in choosing which options? I'd like to go with metal-film resistors, and I assume the most expensive caps (RTI) offered are worth it?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Glowbug,

I am seriously considering the Aikido octal all-in-one kit complete with Russian-made Tung-Sol 6SN7 tubes, RTI coupling caps, metal film resistors and selector switch. This is a bargain and takes a lot of the guesswork out for assembling a decent power supply for the octal amp configuration. I would also recommend Vampire CM1F RCA connectors and a decent SMD stepped attenuator that can be purchased via eBay.

Hi Glowbug, rhing,
I'm using the old Aikido Octal version (not all in one because I purchased it 2 years ago) with Russian made Tungsol 6SN7 and very pleased with it. Had I purchased it now I would go for all in one version because it saves a lot of time and effort in trying to collect parts and build yourself a PSU especially if you are a newbie.

I think you can choose metal film for lowest noise and RTI cap is a good option

If you want even better sound but with a higher cost (of course :) ) then go with the octal dual mono and separate regulators for each channel.

Aikido All-In-One vs Dual Mono Octal Kit

I am trying to decide between the All-in-one or the Dual Mono Octal Aikido kit. Is there a sonic difference between the All-in-one vs Dual Mono if I use just ONE PSU for BOTH channels?

How will the sound improve having separate regulators for EACH channel with the Dual Mono kit? Channel separation, clarity, dynamics - not sure?... Do I need another power transformer too?...

Proposed Power Supply:
-Hammond 270BX
-Mullard/RCA 5U4-GB
-CLCLCRC: 20uF, 20H (Hammond 193C), 50uF, 10H (Hammond 158M), 50uF, 300R, 50uF. All PSU caps are 440V ASC Motor Run Capacitors.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am trying to decide between the All-in-one or the Dual Mono Octal Aikido kit. Is there a sonic difference between the All-in-one vs Dual Mono if I use just ONE PSU for BOTH channels?

How will the sound improve having separate regulators for EACH channel with the Dual Mono kit? Channel separation, clarity, dynamics - not sure?... Do I need another power transformer too?...

Proposed Power Supply:
-Hammond 270BX
-Mullard/RCA 5U4-GB
-CLCLCRC: 20uF, 20H (Hammond 193C), 50uF, 10H (Hammond 158M), 50uF, 300R, 50uF. All PSU caps are 440V ASC Motor Run Capacitors.

Thanks

I went with the dual mono boards because I figured I could use my own PSU design. He has said on a few occasions that regulators are of limited use on the Aikido because of its already good noise canceling properties. I also have been happy with AC filaments raised to 1/4 B+. Additionally, I'm using it as a driver for a KT-88.

Thanks athos56! It's a bit confusing on the Glassware site and Aikido didn't respond to emails about power or their kits.

After reading the fine print, I see that the stereo kit includes a SS power supply for the plate and heaters (minus power transformer).

The Dual Mono kit doesn't have any power supply circuitry on the PCB, thus allowing for a tube rectified design. I am glad that I don't have to invest in another NOS Mullard 5U4-GB tube rectifier and a bunch of Chokes! However, I don't know how much I would trust the "Noise canceling properties," but it's worth a try.

I am currently building the Octal All In One Kit using NP Tung-Sol 6SN7's. I'm going to mount this in a Hammond Aluminum chasis with the tubes mounted on top. For coupling capacitors, I am using Epcos MKV B25834 3.3uF film in oil caps bypassed with Russian FT-3 0.1uF Teflon film caps. I am going to use separate Hammond power transformers for the B+ and heaters. I also purchased Glassware Audio's power switch and input selector switch to use with a TKD pot. Here are some pics of the populated board.

Aikido 8.JPG

Aikido 9.JPG

John Broskie's boards are really thick, sturdy and very well made. The double-sided boards are great for building the amp with tubes, resistors and diodes on top, and everything else on the bottom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.