Aikido All in One line stage amp PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2009, 02:45 AM   #11
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88man View Post
I am trying to decide between the All-in-one or the Dual Mono Octal Aikido kit. Is there a sonic difference between the All-in-one vs Dual Mono if I use just ONE PSU for BOTH channels?

How will the sound improve having separate regulators for EACH channel with the Dual Mono kit? Channel separation, clarity, dynamics - not sure?... Do I need another power transformer too?...

Proposed Power Supply:
-Hammond 270BX
-Mullard/RCA 5U4-GB
-CLCLCRC: 20uF, 20H (Hammond 193C), 50uF, 10H (Hammond 158M), 50uF, 300R, 50uF. All PSU caps are 440V ASC Motor Run Capacitors.

Thanks
I went with the dual mono boards because I figured I could use my own PSU design. He has said on a few occasions that regulators are of limited use on the Aikido because of its already good noise canceling properties. I also have been happy with AC filaments raised to 1/4 B+. Additionally, I'm using it as a driver for a KT-88.
Old 16th October 2009, 03:35 AM   #12
88man is offline 88man  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks athos56! It's a bit confusing on the Glassware site and Aikido didn't respond to emails about power or their kits.

After reading the fine print, I see that the stereo kit includes a SS power supply for the plate and heaters (minus power transformer).

The Dual Mono kit doesn't have any power supply circuitry on the PCB, thus allowing for a tube rectified design. I am glad that I don't have to invest in another NOS Mullard 5U4-GB tube rectifier and a bunch of Chokes! However, I don't know how much I would trust the "Noise canceling properties," but it's worth a try.
Old 16th October 2009, 03:41 AM   #13
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

He also sells a stereo version without the PSU parts.

Might be out of stock, though.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:33 PM   #14
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

I am currently building the Octal All In One Kit using NP Tung-Sol 6SN7's. I'm going to mount this in a Hammond Aluminum chasis with the tubes mounted on top. For coupling capacitors, I am using Epcos MKV B25834 3.3uF film in oil caps bypassed with Russian FT-3 0.1uF Teflon film caps. I am going to use separate Hammond power transformers for the B+ and heaters. I also purchased Glassware Audio's power switch and input selector switch to use with a TKD pot. Here are some pics of the populated board.

Aikido 8.JPG

Aikido 9.JPG

John Broskie's boards are really thick, sturdy and very well made. The double-sided boards are great for building the amp with tubes, resistors and diodes on top, and everything else on the bottom.

Hide this!Advertise here!