• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Charlie K - RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes VTV was great. It's a tragic loss.

I've had the chance to know at least two people who wanted to commit suicide . Their internal 'pain' was apparently unbearable. But from the outside their 'problem' seemed to be a 'normal' glitch in life that many get over without a second thought ( well almost !).

The point is that they need help !... to be able to 'see' that their problems are not 'as bad' as it appears to be to them. This means that their 'friends' should be especially sensitive and close to them when they get into that phase.
But ..I've been there and done that kind of thing and it helps some people . But there are some who just will not be able to get out of the hole they fall into and external intervention just does not help. They are just gone.
But we need to help them no matter what because the ones we help might be the ones who will turn around!

I'm grateful for VTV . It filled a void in my life at the time. May he RIP.

I vividly recall the visit that Gary Pimm and I made to Charlie's place in Northern California, playing our amplifiers on his system, and the personal concert he gave us in his living room. A gracious man, a talented and true musician, and a generous, warm-hearted spirit.

I pray he is in a better place now, and is meeting musician friends from every time and place.

didn't know Charlie K., however, this is a very tragic thing that happens more often than it should, my thoughts are with his family and friends, its hardest on them.

I had a cousin that committed suicide when he was only 16 and it is truly devastating for everyone that is left behind.

One of the biggest problems is the stigma that surrounds depression, especially in my experience growing up in a stoic midwestern German immigrant farming family. I myself was in a pretty bad way after my divorce, however the one good thing was that my family was able to recognize it and help me, because of what happened to my cousin. If not for my family I don't know what might have become of me.

That's why sharing these stories is a good thing, it helps to spread awareness, and hopefully help to ease the feelings of shame and hopelessness for those who are going through it so they can seek help.

It is unfortunately true. I was informed by one of Vacuum Tube Valley's co-founders about a week ago. Many thanks to all who contributed to a wonderful magazine, and the biggest thanks of all to the magazine's dedicated and hard-working editor, who put in a lot of work behind the scenes. Ed Dell, Joe Roberts (both still with us) and Charlie Kittleson all made a real contribution to the tube renaissance in the Nineties.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.