Charlie K - RIP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2009, 12:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Charlie K - RIP

Sad news:

Please excuse the cross-post referencing the other forum, but this is very sad news.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tub...21/217460.html

Moderator, please move to the appropriate venue if this is inappropriate here.

RIP,
Old 3rd March 2009, 02:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Hopefully he's escaped the pain and torment that drove him to it.
Rest In Peace fellow tubehead,your filament glowed brightly while you were here.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:31 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

a loss...

dave
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

His talents were needed elsewhere.

RIP tube buddy
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes VTV was great. It's a tragic loss.

I've had the chance to know at least two people who wanted to commit suicide . Their internal 'pain' was apparently unbearable. But from the outside their 'problem' seemed to be a 'normal' glitch in life that many get over without a second thought ( well almost !).

The point is that they need help !... to be able to 'see' that their problems are not 'as bad' as it appears to be to them. This means that their 'friends' should be especially sensitive and close to them when they get into that phase.
But ..I've been there and done that kind of thing and it helps some people . But there are some who just will not be able to get out of the hole they fall into and external intervention just does not help. They are just gone.
But we need to help them no matter what because the ones we help might be the ones who will turn around!

I'm grateful for VTV . It filled a void in my life at the time. May he RIP.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I got an email this morning about this from a friend
back East we both displayed at his VTV show he had
both here in SoCal and Back East in New Jersey,
Good shows .. He will be missed, and what a shame.

Steve @ Apex Jr.
Old 4th March 2009, 08:02 AM   #7
reemoo is offline reemoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Ashok,

Very nice reply. We can't even begin to phatom what pain other people go through. All we can do is try to help, when there is need.

Charlie K --- my thoughts are with you.
Old 4th March 2009, 09:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I vividly recall the visit that Gary Pimm and I made to Charlie's place in Northern California, playing our amplifiers on his system, and the personal concert he gave us in his living room. A gracious man, a talented and true musician, and a generous, warm-hearted spirit.

I pray he is in a better place now, and is meeting musician friends from every time and place.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

didn't know Charlie K., however, this is a very tragic thing that happens more often than it should, my thoughts are with his family and friends, its hardest on them.

I had a cousin that committed suicide when he was only 16 and it is truly devastating for everyone that is left behind.

One of the biggest problems is the stigma that surrounds depression, especially in my experience growing up in a stoic midwestern German immigrant farming family. I myself was in a pretty bad way after my divorce, however the one good thing was that my family was able to recognize it and help me, because of what happened to my cousin. If not for my family I don't know what might have become of me.

That's why sharing these stories is a good thing, it helps to spread awareness, and hopefully help to ease the feelings of shame and hopelessness for those who are going through it so they can seek help.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:01 PM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If this is true, very sad, Charlie encouraged me and published my first serious magazine article in VTV. I really enjoyed that magazine, of the ones published in the English speaking world on the subject of tubes and audio I think it must have been the best.

Hide this!Advertise here!