• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

IN18 nixies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure whether this should come under the tube heading or not.
I've recently purchased a Nixie clock, the Nixies are IN18 they are russian and have 40mm high digits. They look rather impressive especially at night.
However i have a problem, some of the digits don't light properly.
Is this likely to be due to not enough drive or is it likely to be faulty tubes ?
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Peter.

Well, it can be either problem you mentioned. Keep the clock plugged in for a while. Many times the partial lighting up of the cathodes will light up after a while.

Is this clock multiplexed or direct drive? I have built a bunch of nixie clocks and sometimes if I unplug them for a while the cathodes will take a while to work properly.

BTW, the IN-18's are nice tubes, I have about 30 of them.

Sal

Hi Sal,
Thanks for the info, i have tried swapping the positions. The problem persists though and i now have a blue glow when the 1 lights up in two of the tubes. The clock has only been running for a couple of hours. I will use a bit of patience and not condemn the tubes out of hand. The clock is multiplexed, i have read on another site that direct drive is the best way to do it.
Peter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.