Quality of S5's K-12G in proposed system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2009, 11:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Quality of S5's K-12G in proposed system

I saw some threads on the K-12G, but nothing specifically speaking of the audio quality.
Is this a reasonable choice for setting up a low-level "audiophile" type system? I'm not looking for "reference" quality, but I sure want a good improvement from my sony 3 disc changer all-in-one-box model mhc-gx40
Click the image to open in full size.
I intend to build some ported loudspeakers using a 3'' driver (or thereabouts) and use the much debated playstation1 model 1001 as the input, at least for the time being.

I expect to have a slight lack of bass, but really want some clearer mids & highs. Nice midbass would be good, too but I suspect that's more a characteristic of my speakers.

Thanks for the input
Old 3rd March 2009, 02:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bueller?
Anyone?
Old 3rd March 2009, 03:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

K-12G?

Whut de **** you talking about?

Perhaps you should explain/describe a bit more thoroughly, if you want some kind of answer.

Best Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.s5electronics.com/gtube.html

I said S5's K-12G, maybe these amplifiers aren't as common on this board as others.
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The current speaker plan is either the single or double bass reflex cabinet as shown here, with the FE127E drivers
https://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostex...7e_revencl.pdf
Old 3rd March 2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

These kit's have been discussed extensively. Run a search for more details, but basically they are a really good bang for the buck. I have a K-502, which is it's predasessor(it may still be available from www.tubesandmore.com). The sound will spank your sony boom-box internal amplifier.

Of course there are other options, but there are no other kit's in that price range. Though you may also be able to pick up a vintage tube amp in need of some restoration for the same price. You can't really go wrong either way.
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks jeb.
I actually placed my order last night- looking forward to it!

I am planning on one of the two designs for the FE127E drivers, as above.

Does anyone know the results of using 6ohm speakers to test everything out before I build the actual speakers for it? I have some sitting around, but It seems to be designed for an 8ohm driver.
Old 11th March 2009, 01:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
Got my kit today- already half done! It took the short side of 2 hours to read the instructions twice, check off the components, and solder all the resistors/caps/tube bases on the board.

Looking for input on mounting the volume control elsewhere.
Is it OK to use some 12G hookup wire to allow me to mount it to any part of the chassis? Don't want to create extra noise by doing something like that.
I've built the board with every component save the tube holders & the DB1 chip on the bottom, so I can mount it with the tubes sticking through the top. Doesn't work very well for me to have the volume knob awkwardly sticking out like that.
Same question for the input & output jacks. 12g wire ok to the back of the chassis that I'll build for both?

Also, I don't expect to need to, but could I extend the transformer's wires with the same?

Oh, and is it OK to touch the tubes with bare fingers? I know some car headlight bulbs don't do well with the oils from your hands. Not sure how hot the tubes get.

Thanks again.
Old 12th March 2009, 04:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Finished it up today, Very happy!
Old 12th March 2009, 05:48 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by xxguitarist
The current speaker plan is either the single or double bass reflex cabinet as shown here, with the FE127E drivers
There are a lot of FE127 designs that are a whole lot better than the factory BR boxes you've linked too. Nice driver to work with and can get a whole lot better with a little attention.

DAVE

Hide this!Advertise here!