• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ESL amp: tubes vs solid state: where is the winner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a scratch build of the 80W monobloc version published in his book Audio Reality. It is based on the 6pi45c (russian el509). Mine is using Ei EL519's. I built his grounded grid preamp to drive them as well. One of the many reasons I built them, was that I'm a true beleiver in fidelity, and these amps are claimed to be one of the most accurate designs you can build. So far with my meager NHT ST4's, I'd have to agree, I'm hearing more detail than I've heard on any other system, and no SS graininess. Please, I'm not trying to flame here, I must say that a friend has a Classe SS amp and it is quite involving. (oops, is that like saying 'I'm not a racist some of my best friends are black?')

I've also always liked ESL's for the same reasons, so I wanted something to drive a set someday when I'm either rich or blessed with enough resources to build 'em.

OTL month? Do tell. I'm new here so I'm foggy on the history:dodgy:

Christopher

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
JOIN THE CLUB.

Hi,

One of the many reasons I built them, was that I'm a true beleiver in fidelity,

My credo too.

OTL month? Do tell. I'm new here so I'm foggy on the history

Well, it seems that more and more members seem to investigate the virtues of OTL design...

Just check the latest pages here and you'll notice...

I run a pair of OTLs myself, in fact these amps are still the best I've ever heard on real life speakers...and believe me I've been around.

In essence they combine speed and transparancy, which is one of the main attribues I'm after.

Combine that with a decent preamp and you're on the road to audio heaven.

Cheers and welcome to audio wonderland, ;)

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
dhaen, Frank and SY

dhaen - We've met (at the Newton Arms a few months ago)... Paul L may have told you about the 4212 testing session? Actually, I think we exchanged a couple of emails - Chris V on the LL group...

Frank - I've already seen Remco's site- impressive stuff. Thanks for the pointer anyway. Got transformers coming soon for the SE amp; will see how that turns out before experimenting with true DD balanced drive... Have a 4.1kV ct mains trafo - moving from ful-wave to bridge will give me +-1.8kV for the 845 experiments - if I live that long.

SY - interested to hear more. Will drop you an email...

Best,
cv

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.