• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audioromy FU13 (813) diagram and mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo Phil,

New amps are not avaible. You have to build them yourself or buy a used one.
I use mine now for 6 years and it is still my best sounding amp ever.

Ronny

Just wanted to chime in that I am also a very happy owner of this amp.

I received the 6dj8 and 6V6 version. I have never opened the amp in the 5 or 6 years I have had it. I run it with two silent usb 92mm fans I got from newegg years ago. They move the air away from those huge FU-13's pretty well.

It crackled some with some amperex bugle boy 6dg8's I swapped out, so I replaced them with Mullard Master 10M 6922's, and it blew my mind. I also rolled the 5zp3 to a RCA 5u4G, and the 6v6's to a pair of tung-sol two tone ones I had here. Now dead silent. I slowly acquired 2 extra sets of the finned FU-13's, but so far I am still running the originals. I won't rebias until I swap out those.

Thanks for all of your posts over the years. You are the reason I purchased this amp in the first place. What a sound! I feel like I have to thank the performers for showing up and hanging out on my sofa's while playing a set. I once had 4 Denon 2400a SS optical class a's running through a Lexicon DC preamp, and this is just a whole different, more natural, 2 channel, experience.

I am wondering about rolling the RCA 5u4G to a NOS Masushita 5ar4 when I finally need to replace the FU-13's as they likely are reaching the end of their life span by now. Any thoughts on that tube roll?

I listen to it just about every day. (4-5 times a week,) I run it on a variac, it doesn't power on at all until the variac reaches 68 volts, then over about 30 seconds to a minute, I stop the variac at 104V which I had calibrated to 110V years ago when I got the amp. These amps were made to run at 110V, My house gets about 120v-122v, so I variac it down some.

So far by far my favorite of 40 tube amps, many in various stages of repair/modification. I run with some early 90's bookshelf type speakers and most of my amps with these speakers, (6 sets now,) I use small 8-10 inch subs, but on this 838A, I use an earthquake 15 inch barely turned up. It has a remote to the sub so changing bass output is easy.

Anyway, Thanks Again. I haven't listened to those Denon's in years, and reached a musical nirvana I never thought possible.

2018, i still like my audioromy best. Are there more people who still use this amp? And are there people who would build this amp if there is a diy kit?

I am asking because i have got a lot of offers to sell my amp.(i dont). If there is enough interrest i can make a design with good available parts.

Ronny

Last edited:
Thanks DAK808. And I reside in the UK.

I was just curious after seeing one or two Chinese ones on eBay: 2.5K : 0-4-8? Z11 Single-ended output transformer For 2A3 300B EL156 KT88 FU13 612592968905 | eBay

Had a look at Sowter here in the UK and the cost is just too prohibitive.

Bit surprised no-one has mentioned Mr Lampizator's mods to the Audioromy. He gives it a different front-end and provides the old and new circuit (no power supply): Audioromy 813

Might just see what can be done to my FU29 as it remains in stock form.

Can anyone say how the 4 capacitors located off the power supply board are connected to this board. They are wired as series pairs, the same as the 4 on the power supply board with 330K balance resistors. As such, are they connected in parallel with the 4 on the board? Can't think of any other way they could be used. 4%20Power%20supply%20caps.jpg 0_1%20Power%20supply.jpg

As preparation for me to give my amp a new case, i reversed enginered my amp to get the schematic of my version with 6dj8 and 12ax7 preamp tubes.See below.

Further i lke to make some changes like,
- Dual mono build
- Other power supply without voltage doubler and single fase rectifyer.
- Less distorsion and gain.
- Feedback control.
- Easy biasing.

Schematic of the mod will follow soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 309
Odd you should be thinking that. I want to rebuild mine. Not sure about monoblocks. Want to get a new transformer(s) as the one fitted gets really hot from switch on. Don't think it's really suited for 240v. Not sure what current rating the bias and B+ windings should be. Want proper tube rectification, but not sure what's needed. Want mercury vapour rectifiers as they look really... BLUE! (816/866?). Voltage regulators look nicely...PINK! (VR150?).

Oh, and a proper isolated soft turn-on with adequate relay rating.

YouTube

Last edited:
I bought a Audioromy seller told was 230 volts but was 120 lucky, I never trust chinese sellers so used a 120 step maid many changes to the horrible circuit but the transformer still went up ,in smoke, I built peter Millets circuit as monoblocks very good. I hope to replace the transformer. a friend bought 4 Audioromy duds on Ebay all had transformers had burnt out.

Thanks Multi. I have stopped using mine untill I get it rebuilt. I am going to use the Pete Millet circuit too and am waiting for the driver valve, which was really cheap. Here in the UK the Audioromy 813 hardly ever shows up on eBay. I think I have seen about 3 over 10 years. Perhaps not many were bought. I know of one were the mains transformer burnt out.

Ten years ago i wrote that the bias could be lowerd to 50 a 55mA and not 75mA this keeps the mains transformer a lot cooler. Mine has now about 10.000 burning houres and no problem with the mains transformer.

Wiring from the bridge rectifyer of the heater supply had i to replace because these were to thin and isolation melted. A short here would distroy the mains transformer.

Pete Millet and Lukasz do not use negative feedback this changes the soundsignature a lot. Therefore i like to use adjustable feedback in my rebuild.

There is nothing wrong with the output transformers. Good frequency bandwidth.

Good transformer supplier is toroidy.pl , makes custom build transformers for good price.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.