• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

811a rating question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking on spec sheets for a 811a trying to find the transconductance but haven't had any luck. Could someone point me in the right direction. I have tried TDSL but those spec sheets don't have it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

I looked in all my industrial strength tube data sheet binders (GE, Wstgh. etc.) plus some old reference's and it's not mentioned anywhere. But we do know the amplification factor or mu (µ) is 160.

Gm = µ/Rp Therefor, if you figure the plate resistance for the circuit parameters used, you can compute the Gm.
To use round numbers, an Rp of 10K ohms would give a Gm 16,000 micromhos.

Hollow state astouffer has it right I can get a matched quartet of Chinese 811a or jans for cheap.

Funny you mentioned the 812a, that bad boys on my too do list of amps to build. But as for the application there isn't many other tubes that are affordable that will handle the current.

Originally I was plaining on using as 4-400 as the pass tube but I would be too close to the max dissipation to not forced air cooling, plus the filament transformer. The transconductance on the 4-400a isn't that high either.

Trust me I don't hold the 811a in low regard, it's just it fit's the application too well to pass it up.

Nick

nhuwar said:
So Hollowstate have you used the 812a in a amp?

No Nick, I have not...not yet anyway. I have a good collection of 812s and a new pair of Electra Print 10K PP transformers that I got off eBay a couple of years ago. They are big and probably in the 50 to 60 watt range. In fact I have everything I need except time. Unfortunately earning a living gets in the way.

HollowState said:

No Nick, I have not...not yet anyway. I have a good collection of 812s and a new pair of Electra Print 10K PP transformers that I got off eBay a couple of years ago. They are big and probably in the 50 to 60 watt range. In fact I have everything I need except time. Unfortunately earning a living gets in the way.

Tell me about it. I know what you mean.

Nick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bandersnatch said:
hey-Hey!!!,
811A will need high plate voltage or grid current to pass reasonable amounts of current. Tubes designed for pass element serivce have minimum plate resistance( and usually mu ). The error amp takes care of the low mu factor.
cheers,
Douglas

Knowing Nick I am sure very high plate voltages are not really a problem.. :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.