• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

handwound transformers.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I seem to have fallen through there crack. It took me 6 months and numerous emails. They did answer all my emails and I wasn't in a hurry so I cut them some slack. I am almost ready to try out their product so I can't comment yet. Dmitry just fired up his amp and he loves them. Best deal he ever got he said. I will know soon.

Skippy is right, great products, i ordered OPT's and a PT from them. Although it takes longer than the advertised four weeks, the products are very high quality and come well packaged and with easy to follow diagrammes of what each wire is. Being somewhat impatient I did keep emailing them after the four weeks, and received my transformer two months from the order date. I guess in this case u sacrifice time instead of money for a high quality product.

jeff mai said:
Has anyone actually tested their electrical characteristics?

If you do a search on AudioAsylum's TubeDIY forum there are a lot of threads on Handwound like this whole thread , thread about horribly out of spec trannis , thread about long overdue deliveries , rattling parts in a tranni.

It also seems that the guy ran a prior business with ESL speaker kits over on AudioCircuit and left a lot of people holding the bag. Unfortunately, that site reorganized itself some time ago and I cannot find the thread.

So, some people have gotten bad trannis, some people have gotten a good deal, and it seems like a lot of people have gotten straight up ripped off.

Handwound

If you pester them CONSTANTLY you will eventually receive something.

I've received 2 sets of transformers. The first was 5KSE, the primary inductance was <<1H I returned these and eventually received some replacements that were better, but still poor.

I also have a pair of 10KSE's from them that aren't anywhere close to the specs that were advertised.

Frankly the inexpensive Hammond stuff sounds better and is readily available. The Handwound stuff looks nice but that's about all they have going for them between the shipping hassles and poor performance.

Deal with Magnequest, Electraprint or Hammond. All make great products in various price ranges, provide excellent support etc.

Hi,

Deal with Magnequest, Electraprint or Hammond. All make great products in various price ranges, provide excellent support etc.
Have you tried the western electronic transformer? Old Taiwanese pay a lot of money for this. I don't like its slow sound.
How about the Triad transformer? I have just received one. Its manufacture quality seems better than Hammond. I can feel it when I hold the transformer in my hand. I will try it some other day.:dodgy:
lhchen

Transformers

Hi guys!
Handwound transformers if i am not wrong, a little bit cheap but quality and shippment is poor. I prefered Hammond 1642SE / 1,25k and i liked it too much. I prefer to buy transformer from well known company. I am getting pleasure while listening my parallel SE-Ultralinear EL34 Amplifier. Hammond OPT's are really very good for me.

Attachments

• anfi.jpg
    anfi.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 574
Recent dealings with handwound

Well my order is old...I ordered tranformers in November 2003. They have not come yet.
I email every day. I think Im gonna set up a few more hotmail addresses, just to pester "Dave" some more.
I wouldnt waste your money.

Day 180.... still no transformers!:bawling:

handwound transformers

Recently they send me an e-mail an offered some discounts. I replied their mail and wrote that; their shippment and customer relations are very very bad so i will never buy. I think everyone should write something in forums and complain about them.
PLEASE THÝNK TWICE, BEFORE ORDERING HANDWOUND TRANSFORMERS. (HAMMOND TRANSFORMERS ARE BETTER. CHOOSE THEM AND BE HAPPY!)

1 man band Dave

LeoJar,

It took me over 3 months to get my transformers from him last year. I had ordered a pair of 10K SE OPT for my 211 amp and quite frankly, I dunno where I went wrong. I'm not sure if it's the sh*tty interstage (mismatch) or Dave's OPT? I'm almost temped to buy a pair of Tango/ISO NC-20F OPT to see how off Dave's OPT are.

On the other hand, I also had a pair of 6.8K UL PP 20 watters for a Williamson 807 knock-off. They sounded FANTASTIC! Was it the PIO capacitors I used or the toroidal power transformer? I'm not really sure but his UL PP OPT seemed to work for me.

BTW, I have some more transformers on order from him right now. It's been over 3 weeks so I suppose I should give him a buzz to see how things are going.

BQ

still waiting for Handwound

Well- It's been six months now and still nothing but empty promises, lies and excuses!! I don't even know if the transformers are worth a crap 'cause(it seems) I'll never have an opportunity to test them. I WILL be exploring ways to sue for the return of my money. Right now I'm looking for any site that mentions Dave, HandWound, and/or Lucas Electronics in a favorable light and suggesting they avoid mention of his business(scam), lest they bring their own sites into disrepute. Anyone found an effective tool for recooping losses to this charlatan yet? How about a way to better warn others of his fraud?

similar experience-delay

What I did to get results was threaten with NEGATIVE feedback on ebay. Their adds there must generate a lot of hits for them that they don't want to lose. They are making promises with regards to shipping. They need to back them up. Give them the chance to deliver before feedback hits the web.....with a deadline ( "I really don't want to do this but if you make me I will" ) Then I got my OPT's for an ST-70 clone. Took me about 7 weeks.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hmmmm... Let's see. :scratch2:

Order transformers from Handwound and you have about a 50/50 chance of getting anything at all. IF you get the transformers, it's an even bet that they'll be decent.

So that's a rough estimate of about a 25% chance of getting good transformers, and that's only if you pester and threaten the guy.

:headbash:

No thanks, I'll pass.

:whazzat:

You'd think this jerk would be out of business by now, but I guess there'll always be suckers for low prices that are too good to be true.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.