Pot and knob compatability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Does anybody know if knobs with a 6mm diameter hole will fit on a 6.3mm / 1/4" pot? The unit different seems minimal but would like to be sure either way before I buy!

Also the knobs I'm looking at have a height and diameter of 18mm, does this affect the type of pot I should use, or is pot size (e.g. 16mm or 24mm) referring to the body size.

Thanks

No they won't fit as-is but it'll take about a minute to enlarge the hole to 1/4" since you are removing a mouse-fart worth of material. You can probably do it without a problem with a hand drill, but a drill press makes the job a little easier.

Using a 1/4" knob on a 6mm pot shaft is much harder, since you need to take up the slop with a spacer.

You can use any size knob you want, has nothing to do with the body size of the pot.

The shafts come in all different lengths but they are easy enough to cut since they are aluminum (or sometimes plastic on inexpensive pots). I think the body size has to do with the technology used (cermet, carbon, wire wound, etc) and the wattage rating.

All of the alpha pots/selectors that I've used recently (all two of them :D ) had AL shafts.

You can click thru to the data sheets for all of the dims of most pots if you are shopping at Digikey, Mouser, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.