• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT81 data sheet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
This is all very embarrassing

I took your suggestion, and looked for 7C5, which was duly quoted as 6V6 equivalent on one site. I looked further, and finally hit Billington's who said that it wasn't an equivalent to 6V6. (Didn't say it was a "potential audio type," either.) Finally, I did what I should have done in the first place, and looked it up in the Vade-Mecum. It's a KT61 equivalent on a pressed glass Loctal base.

In my defence, it's not in my GEC books!

...I have several tube/valve manuals, some going back to WWII, and find they are often 'generous' it what they assume to be equivalents - especially in finding equivalents for KT series valves. So while they confirm that the KT81 and KT61 are electrically equivalent, some maintain that the KT61 is direct equivalent of the EL33, despite the slight difference in heater current and greater differences in electrical characteristics.

Last year I acquired an AC/DC amp which used KT71s in pp output, and one manual suggested 50L6s as equivalents, despite the differences in electrical characteristics, and not even the heater voltage and current are the same, issues which are of particular importance in AC/DC circuits.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
This is what the fuss is about

Now that I'm reasonably certain the a KT81 is electrically equivalent to a KT61, I can think about how to use them with my pair of dinky Partridge 10ka-a output transformers. The Leak TL/10 is the obvious starting point.

Attachments

• kt81.jpg
    kt81.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 228
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
bournville said:
I have several tube/valve manuals, some going back to WWII, and find they are often 'generous' it what they assume to be equivalents - especially in finding equivalents for KT series valves.

I agree. I've never greatly trusted the "Radio Valve" manuals etc, but I've now decided that I don't trust the manufacturers' manuals either when it comes to equivalents. After all, they had a vested interest in making you "Brimarize" your kit, or use GEC valves. Sadly, the more I look at it, the worse the KT81 looks electrically. Yet it's so pretty. :bawling:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SAME, SAME BUT DIFFERENT...

Hi,

When it comes to equivalents I only trust the straight tabels of US to European and vice versa conversions.

Anything else you'd better cross-check very carefully.

Sample: 12Ax7A > ECC83 and than it goes on to the 5751...ah not quite the same thing, is it?

Caveat emptor,;)

P.S. Brimar? They must have come from Krypton.

Hi,

I dont know if this is helpful but I have a GEC valve manual from 1952 that list the KT81 as "Obsolescent type"

Summary data is give as:

Heater 6.3V 0.95A

Va max 250V
Vg2 max 250V
Gm 10.8 ma/V

Typical application

Va 250V
Vg2 250V
Ia 40mA
Ig2 7.5mA
Vg1 -4.4V
Rk 90ohm
Load impedance 6000 ohm
Output power 4.3W

I have socket diagram also but I dont have a scanner but if needed I can take digital picture of the page and post on the Web.

For me KT81 seem to be quite far away from a 6V6, the Gm is more than double and the max Va is very low. It look indeed very similar to the KT61 that is given with typical application data identical to the one given for KT81.

Regards Hans

A final word...

...I was just checking an old Brimar manual for another tube and came across the KT81 and, lo and behold, it is listed as an equivalent for the 7C5, a tube with completely different operating characteristics. I think this sums up what has been said about the problems of relying on equivalents listings.

Even the 'Brimarizing' section of the manual didn't make clear about playing fast and loose with equivalents. Annoyingly the manual has a very good CV equivalents listing which I've used in the past, but now will have be careful with!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.