Annoying high frequency ringing from my 832 tube amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2009, 08:24 PM   #11
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

What a pain in the *** this was. As I recall, when I built this amp I set the power transformer on my bench and started attaching parts to it (not really), so I was forced to remove a significant amount of the amp in order to get to the screws and remove the bell end. Once the bell end was off I mixed up enough 2 part epoxy to coat the inside of the bell end with about a 1/16" thick layer. I reassembled the amp and the ringing is gone. My amp is not as quiet as can be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

By the way, Hammond wanted me to send the transformer back to them for evaluation before saying if they would replace it or not. Not worth the expense for the risk.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:58 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

At least your effort wasn't wasted.
I've bought my last Hammond transformer. That's it for me.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:41 PM   #13
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kuroguy
. My amp is not as quiet as can be.
Make that "My amp is now as quiet as can be."
Old 7th March 2009, 12:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down The new Hammond

Perhaps this is what that butt ugly knockout plug is for on the new series Hammond xfmers. You remove it to let the annoying noise spill out.

The older X-series end bells were IMO far more attractive. How many requests did they get from electricians that wanted to install BX cable or conduit on their tube utput xfmers anyhow to make such an across the board change????? Doofus's and ijits!

Fred, why did you have to grow old, relax supervision of the company and then die? You are missed!

Hide this!Advertise here!