scott 299D output transformers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2009, 05:15 PM   #1
iain42 is offline iain42  United States
diyAudio Member

Default scott 299D output transformers?

I am trying to find vintage scott transformers for the 299D. It uses a pair of 7591 tubes per channel. Are there any new production transformers that I can use for this old Scott? I'd prefer original but I may not be able to find them at a decent price. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 19th February 2009, 09:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hey-Hey!!!,
See Heyboer in MI for a new Dynaco A420. 6k6 a-a and sized like the A470 of the St.70. A step up they could also wind would be the Peerless S230.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 19th February 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandersnatch
hey-Hey!!!,
See Heyboer in MI for a new Dynaco A420. 6k6 a-a and sized like the A470 of the St.70. A step up they could also wind would be the Peerless S230.
cheers,
Douglas
I like the peerless wind idea. When I talk to Heyboer what kind of specs do I need to provide?

Thanks,
Iain
Old 19th February 2009, 10:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hey-Hey!!!,
You have them ask me for the engineering sample. I've had them make copies of the S265Q and S271S. The S230 is waiting for an appropriate project...if yours comes up before mine, that's OK with me...
cheers,
Douglas
Old 20th February 2009, 12:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Iain,

Doug has clued you in about Heyboer. If the expense turns out to be more than your budget can bear, check out the Edcor CXPP60-MS-6.6K. At $70.30 each, the price is modest. The 60 W. rating means you have plenty of magnetic headroom, to accomodate the low freq. error correction signal associated with loop NFB. In addition, Edcor O/P "iron" has ultralinear taps, which would allow you to experiment with that mode.
Old 20th February 2009, 02:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandersnatch
hey-Hey!!!,
You have them ask me for the engineering sample. I've had them make copies of the S265Q and S271S. The S230 is waiting for an appropriate project...if yours comes up before mine, that's OK with me...
cheers,
Douglas

Interesting. So do you think this would be a step up or at least equivalent to the original Scott? Thanks for offering I may take you up on it. I'm almost hate to ask but what do you think the ballpark price could be?
Old 20th February 2009, 02:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli Duttman
Iain,

Doug has clued you in about Heyboer. If the expense turns out to be more than your budget can bear, check out the Edcor CXPP60-MS-6.6K. At $70.30 each, the price is modest. The 60 W. rating means you have plenty of magnetic headroom, to accomodate the low freq. error correction signal associated with loop NFB. In addition, Edcor O/P "iron" has ultralinear taps, which would allow you to experiment with that mode.
I asked in the previous post about price which I am curious about.

The edcor was mentioned to me by someone else as well. The price is wonderful. Do you think performance would be ok? I also wonder if it the peerlees and edcore would fit on the chasis. I'll take some measurements. I'm not much of an experimentor as I know just enough to be dangerous.

I am nervous about substituting the original transformers but I just can't find them anywhere.

thanks for the info
Old 20th February 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Suitable transformers often show up on eBay. There's two from a Fisher 400 series that used 7868 tubes which are similar to 7591's, but with a different base.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-400-recei...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISHER-400-outpu...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 20th February 2009, 05:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowState
Suitable transformers often show up on eBay. There's two from a Fisher 400 series that used 7868 tubes which are similar to 7591's, but with a different base.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-400-recei...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISHER-400-outpu...1%7C240%3A1318

This is the only forum that has given me alternatives to the original scott transformers. So now I can choose between Peerless custom, Edcor, and Fisher 400. I noticed the 400 is rated at 30 at full power will that be a problem since the Scott is rated at 34wpc?

Thank you so much everyone. This forum is great.
Old 20th February 2009, 06:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iain42
I noticed the 400 is rated at 30 at full power will that be a problem since the Scott is rated at 34wpc?
No it won't. A of a couple of watts is negligible since it's a general specification. Not all eBay sellers get their numbers perfectly correct anyway. And for that matter you could even use Fisher 500 series OPTs. They used 7591's if I'm not mistaken.

(edited for spelling)

Victor

Hide this!Advertise here!