• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

chocke anode load, please explain me..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Suppose I have a 6N6P , B+ is 200 Volt, bypassed cathode resistor is 100 ohms, anode resistor is 5,6 K .

In this situation , gain is 13,5X ( into 100K) and since Rp is about 1600 ohms, probably output impedance is to say, 1400 ohm. Current is about 20 mA for each section.

( this is my beloved driver stage....:) )

What happen if I swap the anode resistor with a good 60H choke?

Gain? approx
Output impedance? approx

Perdone my basic questions, but I am a newbie on tubes and I would be learn :cannotbe:

Very thanks!:)

Cheers,
Paolo

The anode resistor is dropping 5.6*20=112V, if you replaced that R with a choke your tube would be exposed to a much higher anode voltage. You need to lower it before replacing the R!

60H at 20Hz have an impedance of 2*3.14etc...*20*60=7.5K so you will have a bit more gain. Output impedance won't change, sound should improve (that's my taste).

Even better would be a proper CCS.

Gianluca

Gluca said:
The anode resistor is dropping 5.6*20=112V, if you replaced that R with a choke your tube would be exposed to a much higher anode voltage. You need to lower it before replacing the R!

Yup, understood, thanks Gianluca! :)

60H at 20Hz have an impedance of 2*3.14etc...*20*60=7.5K so you will have a bit more gain. [/B]

Ok, How can I calculate this little "more" ?
No possible go to near the mu of the tube ( 22 about)?

Output impedance won't change, sound should improve (that's my taste). [/B]

oh, what a delusion! :-(

Even better would be a proper CCS.

Gianluca [/B]

But this CCS lower the output impedance , am I right?

thanks,:)
Paolo

You can go up to gain=mu using a CCS (that looks like a very-very large resistor). The output impedance can be lowered using the CCS-tube combo as a mu-follower. I believe a schematic can help.

My preamp

Google "gary pimm" and "walt jung" for some very interesting documents on CCS'. Many many pages have been written here too.

OH! I loved 6N6s. One of the best things I soldered was a mufollower made by 6N6+EF184

Ciao
Gianluca

Thanks Gianluca,

Indeed I am more incline to Chocke instead CCS:angel:

Anyway, back to the "little more" gain question, are we speaking about 1 dB ? Better than nothing !
But this mean that the more the chocke is bigger, the more the gain I will obtain? :rolleyes:

i also love the 6N6-P : IMO it is awesome "tubey" , very different from to say, a ECC88, 5842, etc . I am really impressed by 6N6-P.
I have to thanks this TUBES section for this thing!:D

Cheers,
Paolo

inertial said:
Thanks Gianluca,

Indeed I am more incline to Chocke instead CCS:angel:

Anyway, back to the "little more" gain question, are we speaking about 1 dB ? Better than nothing !
But this mean that the more the chocke is bigger, the more the gain I will obtain? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Paolo

CCS' actually outperform chokes. Keep in mind chokes usually have higher stray capacitance that impairs hi-freq (is that a problem really? we are talking >50kHz), and CCS will give you lower distortion (does it matter? probably not). The bigger the choke the heavier the iron the higher the price the worse the hi-freq behavior. CCS' can offer also a better rejection of PSU's noise. And cost 1/10 of a good choke.

The choke's impedance goes up with frequency, I calculated the value at 20Hz to make sure 60H are enough otherwise low frequencies would be compromised. I believe you won't notice any difference of gain between CCS and chokes (but at low frequency).

OH! I do use chokes as necessary.

Ciao
g

The advantage of a choke is its energy storage, a CCS must drop whatever volts your planning to swing across it, along with some headroom drop across the CCS parts itself. CCS is a variant of resistive load.

Choke vs CCS on the same B+ will involve different operating points, as mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.